Michael Jay

Default TOS FN-32 spindle repair?

A plea for help from a lurker...

My TOS FN-32 mill's spindle bearings gave up the ghost today,
(smoke & grinding to a grizzly halt), which pretty much ruined my day,
plus my work of course. I'm a complete dummy when it comes to replacing
spindle bearings, so any experience or tips with this type of machine
or similar stuff would be greatly appreciated - and it might just prevent
me from finding out the hard way

Cheers,
Mike
Finland
PrecisionMachinisT

"Michael Jay" wrote in message
om...
A plea for help from a lurker...

My TOS FN-32 mill's spindle bearings gave up the ghost today,
(smoke & grinding to a grizzly halt), which pretty much ruined my day,
plus my work of course. I'm a complete dummy when it comes to replacing
spindle bearings, so any experience or tips with this type of machine
or similar stuff would be greatly appreciated - and it might just prevent
me from finding out the hard way

Crossposted to alt.machines.cnc

Meanwhile, suggest you should research the topic on that newsgroup using
Google groups as there was a thread a few months back covering this...

--

SVL

Michael Jay

Thanks for the tip, I did do a search before posting. I was just hoping
someone might have experience with this particular machine.

Mike
PrecisionMachinisT

"Michael Jay" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the tip, I did do a search before posting. I was just hoping
someone might have experience with this particular machine.

Well, if the bearing races done spun in the housing or on the shaft then you
are screwed, nobody can see it from here, you need to take it apart and
report back to us....that or find a mechanic that is just gonna do the same
for you.........it all depends on what the machine is worth re-sale as
opposed to how valuable your time is to you...........

A a point of referance, a new set of angular contact bearings for a 40 taper
spindle is probly likely to cost you ~ $250.00 to $500.00 retail if the top
end speed is ~ 5000 ~ 10000 rpms on that particular machine....

Then again, it might be a slower spindle and takes a pair a timkin tapered
bearing--just we cant see it from here..........

--

SVL