Default casting 316 stainless

I'm new to this, so forgive me if this is a stupid question:
Can I cast 316 stainless steel using an oxy-acy torch? I'm making very
small parts and am expecting to do some machining after casting. I was
thinking of just heating up a small 1"x2"x1/4" peice and meting it,
then pouring it into an open greensand indentaion of the shape I want.
Is that possible - do I need to use any kind of flux? What sort of
problems can I expect to have to deal with?
Any suggestions appreciated.

Harold and Susan Vordos

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm new to this, so forgive me if this is a stupid question:
Can I cast 316 stainless steel using an oxy-acy torch? I'm making very
small parts and am expecting to do some machining after casting. I was
thinking of just heating up a small 1"x2"x1/4" peice and meting it,
then pouring it into an open greensand indentaion of the shape I want.
Is that possible - do I need to use any kind of flux? What sort of
problems can I expect to have to deal with?
Any suggestions appreciated.

It's my opinion that you'll have no success at all. Melting stainless
requires that you protect the material from oxidation, a tall order with any
kind of open flame. Such materials are commonly melted with induction
furnaces, often in either a vacuum or an inert atmosphere. Melting and
casting any of the iron alloys with a torch is likely to be very difficult,
at best.

Harold

Harold and Susan Vordos

"habbi" wrote in message
I wonder if a slow flow of argon over the work help at all.

With Tim's idea (electric arc furnace) I can't help but think it would help.
Melting with an arc is likely the only other way (than induction heating)
one could expect reasonable results. I can't imagine pouring on enough
argon if melting with a torch to make a difference. Melting by other
methods tends to burn out the alloys such that you end up with something,
but it isn't the same thing you started with. That's the beauty of
induction melting. Not only does it not alter the heat, it also stirs it
perfectly, so it's a nice, homogeneous blend. Arc would likely provide
a reasonable stirring action, and would be far less destructive of the
alloy, especially with an inert atmosphere.

Harold

What's a good endmill for cutting stainless plate? (encountering problems) Marshall Johnson Metalworking 14 January 9th 14 05:58 PM
Welding Stainless Forger Metalworking 6 December 11th 04 11:54 PM
Stainless stove/grill advise Paul Oman Home Repair 10 September 1st 04 05:25 PM
Satin finish Fridge & Stainless Steel Appliances OK? calberto Home Ownership 1 September 8th 03 12:35 AM