Harold and Susan Vordos

"habbi" wrote in message
I wonder if a slow flow of argon over the work help at all.

With Tim's idea (electric arc furnace) I can't help but think it would help.
Melting with an arc is likely the only other way (than induction heating)
one could expect reasonable results. I can't imagine pouring on enough
argon if melting with a torch to make a difference. Melting by other
methods tends to burn out the alloys such that you end up with something,
but it isn't the same thing you started with. That's the beauty of
induction melting. Not only does it not alter the heat, it also stirs it
perfectly, so it's a nice, homogeneous blend. Arc would likely provide
a reasonable stirring action, and would be far less destructive of the
alloy, especially with an inert atmosphere.

Harold