Default Working with stainless tubing. How hard?

I am thinking of making some hombrew antennas for ham out of stainless
for the rust resistance and look. I have never worked with stainless
before. Is it hard to drill into or thread the ends?

R. O'Brian

It is not hard, but it tends to be gummy which means you need sharp tools
and a suitable cutting oil for best results.

Randy

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am thinking of making some hombrew antennas for ham out of stainless
for the rust resistance and look. I have never worked with stainless
before. Is it hard to drill into or thread the ends?

Tim Killian

You need very sharp tooling and cutting fluid (oil or water base). I
hate working with stainless because the chips and slivers are like tiny
knives, and they always end up in my finger tips. Stainless is 3X
heavier than aluminum, but it's not really that much stronger for a
given weight of material. Have you considered making the parts from
heavy-wall aluminum with gray anodizing?

wrote:

I am thinking of making some hombrew antennas for ham out of stainless
for the rust resistance and look. I have never worked with stainless
before. Is it hard to drill into or thread the ends?

Does this corrode or tarnish?

Joe AutoDrill

Does this corrode or tarnish?

Yes... No... Depends...

Where do you plan on using this? If it is somewhere sort of seen, then use
white anodized. The corossion on the aluminum will at least partially
match.

It's tough... But it is not ever safe to use where salt is going to be
present.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.