Samantha BeanHead

Default Snipping sheet metal

Hi,

I am very much a beginner to working with metal, and I was just
wondering what kind of maximum thicknesses of sheet metal (steels,
copper, aluminium) one would be expected to be able to cut using so
called aviator snips. At the moment I am fairly limited in budget and
equipment so I am wondering what is possible using hand tools.
Thanks.
DanG

18 gauge steel sheets will max out Midwest (the style I prefer)
snips. You need to be a bull to cut very much 18.

Copper and aluminum are much easier, but I do not know a maximum.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Samantha BeanHead" wrote in
message ...
Hi,

I am very much a beginner to working with metal, and I was just
wondering what kind of maximum thicknesses of sheet metal
(steels,
copper, aluminium) one would be expected to be able to cut using
so
called aviator snips. At the moment I am fairly limited in
budget and
equipment so I am wondering what is possible using hand tools.
Thanks.

Bugs

Tin snips have definite limitations, then you graduate to the hacksaw,
fret saw and bandsaw. As your finances and inclination dictate you can
devolve to the cutting torch and plasma gun driven by CNC.
I had an Indian jeweler friend who could carry on a conversation, chew
gum, and cut the most intricate patterns with a fretsaw all at the same
time. Learn to use the hand tools, then appreciate the labor saving of
power tools.
Bugs

Robin S.

"Bugs" wrote in message
oups.com...
Learn to use the hand tools, then appreciate the labor saving of
power tools.

After six weeks of filing at the beginning of my apprenticeship, I certainly
agree with you (and you couldn't pay me enough to do it again).

Regards,

Robin

DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
Bugs wrote:
Tin snips have definite limitations, then you graduate to the hacksaw,
fret saw and bandsaw. As your finances and inclination dictate you can
devolve to the cutting torch and plasma gun driven by CNC.

There are other tools which can be helpful within a reasonable
ranges of gauge. There are the nibblers, starting with the hand-powered
Adel nibbler, which is probably within the experience of any electronics
hobbyist. It cuts out rectangular pieces, 1/4" wide, and perhaps 1/16"
deep. And your hand gets *really* tired doing much with it. But, you
can make right-angle turns with it, or do a pretty good job of following
a tight curve.

There is also another style which uses three blades -- two
stationary and one moving which cuts a thin strip out of the workpiece.
It won't turn as tightly, and the thin strip tends to form a coil which
gets in the way of turns even more, but it is pretty nice for near
straight-line work.

Beyond that, there are two flavors of powered nibblers -- One
like the three-bladed one described above, available both attached to an
electric drill motor style of power source, and the compressed-air
powered ones.

And, still in the compressed-air power line is something similar
to the Adel, except that it punches smaller pieces, which take on a
crescent moon shape. Like the Adel, it can follow a rather tight curve,
though it will require that corners be finished up with a file.

Finally, there are the various shears. A stomp shear can handle
up to 50+ inches wide (since standard sheet metal sizes are typically
48x96" this works out nicely), but it is really only good for straight
lines.

And the "Beverly" shear, which is hand powered, and which can
follow a curve fairly well.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Gerald Miller

On 18 Jan 2005 22:17:59 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article .com,
Bugs wrote:
Tin snips have definite limitations, then you graduate to the hacksaw,
fret saw and bandsaw. As your finances and inclination dictate you can
devolve to the cutting torch and plasma gun driven by CNC.

There are other tools which can be helpful within a reasonable
ranges of gauge. There are the nibblers, starting with the hand-powered
Adel nibbler, which is probably within the experience of any electronics
hobbyist. It cuts out rectangular pieces, 1/4" wide, and perhaps 1/16"
deep. And your hand gets *really* tired doing much with it. But, you
can make right-angle turns with it, or do a pretty good job of following
a tight curve.

I can testify to the usefulness and durability of this item, I have
been abusing one for over 50 years - I think I paid something like
US$5.00 when I purchased this from Allied Radio

[...]

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
bending sheet metal into a cylinder cdg Metalworking 6 September 10th 03 10:06 AM
cutting sheet metal with circular saw???? Roy Jenson Metalworking 3 August 31st 03 05:11 PM
sheet metal gas engine project clare @ snyder.on .ca Metalworking 10 August 27th 03 01:47 AM
How start sheet metal screws? Joe Odom Home Repair 2 July 6th 03 03:01 PM