Chuck Olson

"RWatson767" wrote in message
A local dealer recommends an ENCO lathe. Are they any better or worse than

Jet?
Bob AZ

About ten years ago, I bought a 9x36 lathe by Frejoth, a Taiwan
manufacturer, from a machine tool dealer in the S.F. Bar Area. It has change
gears to cut both English and metric threads, and was supplied with an 8
thread/inch "imperial" lead screw. (I chose it mainly for its large 1 5/8"
ID spindle bore). When cutting metric threads, the only difference is the
thread-chasing dial can no longer be used, and the lathe has to be reversed
without disengaging the half-nuts to go back and deepen threads. This is
only a big problem when threading to a flange since the 220 V. single-phase
motor cannot be stopped instantly or accurately on the way to reversing it.
Overall, I've been very happy with this machine, but I'm only an Electronics
Engineer and so probably almost anything looks good to me.

Wild Bill

In the instance of the imported 9x20 lathe (China), they can cut their own
spindle
thread (39x4mm I think), but the gear combination isn't listed in the
operating manual.
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...he_threads.txt

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...he_threads.pdf

The Jet models were supplied (probably still are) with an inch/sae threaded
spindle (1-1/2" 8 maybe) which is a more common backplate thread.

I'm not sure about any other differences between the Jet or generic/Enco
other than Jet's paint color. Maybe the Jet has a UL recognized motor.

The 9x20 versions have other issues which are addressed on numerous lathe
boards/lists and web pages. One item which nearly every owner modifies is
the poorly designed 2-bolt compound mount.
Another common complaint was the 4-jaw chuck that's supplied with the
lathe.. some refer to it as a wood lathe chuck. It's suitable for the 9x20
model because the spindle isn't sturdy enough to support a significantly
heavier chuck.

WB

"RWatson767" wrote in message
A local dealer recommends an ENCO lathe. Are they any better or worse than

Jet?
Bob AZ

Richard W.

"RWatson767" wrote in message
A local dealer recommends an ENCO lathe. Are they any better or worse than

Jet?
Bob AZ

About the same. I have seen and used both 12" models. I would buy the Enco
if the choice was between the 2 makes. 9" I don't really know about.