JimH720113

Default metal supply

has anyone heard of "metal supermarkets, and if so can ya give me some info on
them,
TIA,
jimh
Trevor Jones

JimH720113 wrote:

has anyone heard of "metal supermarkets, and if so can ya give me some info on
them,
TIA,
jimh

There are a couple branches of a store that goes by that name here in
Edmonton AB, Canada.

Well stocked. Set up to deal retail. Expensive. Really expensive,
compared to full stick pricing.

On the plus sides, however, they often have usefull cutoffs and ends in
their bins, priced per the pound, if you are not to fussy for the
varying selection. They also will happily sell you (for semi-outrageous
pricing and a cutting fee) 6 inches of something that you would
otherwise have to buy a full stick of from a regular steel supplier.
This can be quite cost effective, when one may not actually need 20 feet
of, say, 6 inch diameter solid stock.

They will entertain hobbyists that want a bit of this and a bit of
that, where some of the steel suppliers want to deal in full sticks and
large quantities.

Worth the time to figure out what you need, what you have to have, and
what you can afford to store for a future use, and then contact the
regular steel suppliers in your area to see what it will cost to buy
there instead, as well as what points the price breaks kick in for
buying quantity.

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Charles A. Sherwood

Well stocked. Set up to deal retail. Expensive. Really expensive,
compared to full stick pricing.

I call and ask for a price quote. The price quote is usually significantly
less than the price listed on the web. Sometimes 1/2!
cs

The metal supermarket in Halifax was really good. Excellent service,
and the prices were reasonable, allowing for the premium for small
quantities.
Can't say the same for the one here in Ottawa, where I recently moved
to. Really, really expensive and poor service. It's a last resort as
far as I'm concerned.