Huey Conway

Default Anyone hear of a New ULM brand lathe

Supposedly made by New Ulm Precision Tools Co., out of New Ulm, Mn.

Any info on it is appreciated.
Its approximately 7" swing over ways, and 12 inches between centers.
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Huey Conway Don't bother with it I am too busy to reply anyhow! wrote:
Supposedly made by New Ulm Precision Tools Co., out of New Ulm, Mn.

Any info on it is appreciated.
Its approximately 7" swing over ways, and 12 inches between centers.

The dimensions make it sound like yet another of the fleet of
small import lathes -- all appear to acutally be made by the same
factory, or at least to the same drawings, and differ (mostly) only in
color of pain and "maker's name" on the label.

Maybe someone else actually knows different about this brand,
but this is what I suspect. Visit the Grizzly, and Harbor Freight web
pages and see whether you can find something which looks exactly the
same. I'll bet that you can.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Gunner

On 4 Jan 2005 00:56:47 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

The dimensions make it sound like yet another of the fleet of
small import lathes -- all appear to acutally be made by the same
factory, or at least to the same drawings, and differ (mostly) only in
color of pain and "maker's name" on the label.

Maybe someone else actually knows different about this brand,
but this is what I suspect. Visit the Grizzly, and Harbor Freight web
pages and see whether you can find something which looks exactly the
same. I'll bet that you can.

Good Luck,
DoN.

The castings and most of the basic machines are built and assembled by
the Chinese "Red Dragon Noodle and Machine Tool Works".

Gunner

It's not unwise to remember that Mother Nature is essentially a
murderous, sneakly, promiscuous bitch who has been trying to kill you
since your conception.

Eventually she will succeed, perhaps with the help of your fellow man.

Life consists in putting off the inevitable as long as possible and
taking what good and joy you can before her success.

Whether you attribute that situation to evolutionary forces, a fallen
nature after Adam and Eve screwed the pooch, or whatever, it's no less true.

Be friendly, pleasant, unaggressive, and honest toward all and be
prepared to ignore, avoid, or even kill anyone who is otherwise toward
you. Being ready doesn't mean eager, just ready. What true friends are
found in life will undestand and accept that fundamental rule of human
interaction." John Husvar
Karl Townsend

DoN might be right, but it might be worth investigating. New Ulm is
a strongly German small community. If this lathe is as good as the
products of the August Schell brewery in New Ulm....

I live less than an hour's drive from New Ulm. Its small town middle America
with a STRONG Greman background. I'm sure there's not an Asian re-importer
there. I bet you could just get ahold of the yellow pages and look for the
name of that company. Otherwise, do what I do for small towns like this;
call up the local hardware store and aks them.

BTW, I toured the brewery last year. They gave me a sample of Schell's
Caramel Bock. Now its the only beer I drink.

Karl

Bob

Here's their website, with contact information. According to their
mission statement, their primary business is designing and
manufacturing fixtures and jigs, work cells, etc. They also sell a
line of machine tool accessories, according to several web directories.
Why not give 'em a call and see what they say?

http://www.newulmprecisiontool.com/

My bet is it's a rebadged Chinese 7x12, but if not, please let us know.
Regards,

Bob

Jim Stewart

Karl Townsend wrote:
DoN might be right, but it might be worth investigating. New Ulm is
a strongly German small community. If this lathe is as good as the
products of the August Schell brewery in New Ulm....

I live less than an hour's drive from New Ulm. Its small town middle America
with a STRONG Greman background. I'm sure there's not an Asian re-importer
there. I bet you could just get ahold of the yellow pages and look for the
name of that company. Otherwise, do what I do for small towns like this;
call up the local hardware store and aks them.

This thread had me *seriously* confused for
a while. I spent a year stationed in New Ulm
(actually spelled Neu-Ulm) in Germany around
'72. Needless to say, that community is strongly
German as well and has a strong metalworking
heritage. Walther, the gunmaker is located in
Ulm proper, just over the river.

BTW, I toured the brewery last year. They gave me a sample of Schell's
Caramel Bock. Now its the only beer I drink.

Karl

Martin H. Eastburn

Bob wrote:

Here's their website, with contact information. According to their
mission statement, their primary business is designing and
manufacturing fixtures and jigs, work cells, etc. They also sell a
line of machine tool accessories, according to several web directories.
Why not give 'em a call and see what they say?

http://www.newulmprecisiontool.com/

My bet is it's a rebadged Chinese 7x12, but if not, please let us know.
Regards,

Bob

Look at the machine list - they look Japanese.

They have Danobat, DoAll, Moore, Unison, Brown and Sharpe,

Okamoto, OKK, Tsugami , Bridgeport mills, Harrison, Okuma Mori Seiki

etc.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Trevor Jones

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

Bob wrote:

Here's their website, with contact information. According to their
mission statement, their primary business is designing and
manufacturing fixtures and jigs, work cells, etc. They also sell a
line of machine tool accessories, according to several web directories.
Why not give 'em a call and see what they say?

http://www.newulmprecisiontool.com/

My bet is it's a rebadged Chinese 7x12, but if not, please let us know.
Regards,

Bob

Look at the machine list - they look Japanese.

They have Danobat, DoAll, Moore, Unison, Brown and Sharpe,

Okamoto, OKK, Tsugami , Bridgeport mills, Harrison, Okuma Mori Seiki

etc.

Martin

I dunno. I thought the list looked like they actually chose fairly well
when they bought their tooling.

It's not like they have a pile of HF or Powerfist brand tools in use.
That they admit to, anyway. :-)

And, that is the list of tools that they have available to use, not to
sell.

I did not see anywhere that indicated that they were in the buisness of
selling general purpose or hobby type machine tools, so perhaps this
lathe that got this all started is a new venture for them, or it is not
related to them at all.

I would tend towards the sentiment expressed above, that it is probably
another rebadge. I'd be glad to be wrong, though.

Cheers
Trevor Jones