Danno

Default PLEASE!!! help with older Airco arc welder

Hi all,

I recently was given an old (1980's??) Airco "EasyARC" A/C arc welder.
I haven't done any welding in about 10 years, so I'm excited to get
this baby running.

The welder didn't come with any leads, so I'm not sure where to get
them, or what kind to get. The spots to plug the leads in look like
3/8" holes with small cones protecting the surface... there are 3, one
for the ground and two for the electrode, depending on the desired
output Amperage.

I'm also in need of an electrode holder, electrodes, ground clamp...
basically everything to get this machine running except for the machine
itself.

Any suggestions (aside from tossing this FREE machine) are most
appreciated.

THANKS!

-Danno

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Danno" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I recently was given an old (1980's??) Airco "EasyARC" A/C arc welder.
I haven't done any welding in about 10 years, so I'm excited to get
this baby running.

The welder didn't come with any leads, so I'm not sure where to get
them, or what kind to get. The spots to plug the leads in look like
3/8" holes with small cones protecting the surface... there are 3, one
for the ground and two for the electrode, depending on the desired
output Amperage.

I'm also in need of an electrode holder, electrodes, ground clamp...
basically everything to get this machine running except for the machine
itself.

Any suggestions (aside from tossing this FREE machine) are most
appreciated.

THANKS!

-Danno

If money is no object, go to any welding supply store (check the yellow
pages), where they can fit you with the necessary cables and clamps. They do
that on a regular basis and generally have everything in stock. I guess it
depends on the store's policy. The only negative is you'll be paying top
dollar for everything you buy, unlike finding it used.

Assuming you know what you need, you might have good fortune to find it on
ebay. Aside from dealing with one particularly crooked business, I've had
quite good fortune there, buying a lot of things at a bargain price. It
does present greater risk than buying at the local store.

Harold

RoyJ

I have a similar one I got for $5 a while back. Nice machine, plenty of
copper, smooth (for an AC machine) arc.

The plugs are standard items at a welding shop, $8 each. You need some
#2 cable, length is up to you but a nice setup is 20' ground cable, 30'
stinger cable. Price for the cable will knock you over, I haven't priced
it recently but be prepared for something in $1.50 a foot range (or
more). (Gloat: I got 200' spool on a Home Depot closeout for $.24/ft!)
Stinger runs about $10 to $15, ground clamp runs $5 to $10 (or just use
a big lug and a vice grip or 'C' clamp) Don't forget a welding helment.

Get yourself a 10# package of 1/8" 6013 to start, nice welds, nice slag.
1/8" 6011 rod is good for rusty work and repairs, a couple pounds of
3/32" 6013 for small work is also nice.

Have at it!

Danno wrote:

Hi all,

I recently was given an old (1980's??) Airco "EasyARC" A/C arc welder.
I haven't done any welding in about 10 years, so I'm excited to get
this baby running.

The welder didn't come with any leads, so I'm not sure where to get
them, or what kind to get. The spots to plug the leads in look like
3/8" holes with small cones protecting the surface... there are 3, one
for the ground and two for the electrode, depending on the desired
output Amperage.

I'm also in need of an electrode holder, electrodes, ground clamp...
basically everything to get this machine running except for the machine
itself.

Any suggestions (aside from tossing this FREE machine) are most
appreciated.

THANKS!

-Danno

Gunner

On 28 Dec 2004 08:48:21 -0800, "Danno" wrote:

Hi all,

I recently was given an old (1980's??) Airco "EasyARC" A/C arc welder.
I haven't done any welding in about 10 years, so I'm excited to get
this baby running.

The welder didn't come with any leads, so I'm not sure where to get
them, or what kind to get. The spots to plug the leads in look like
3/8" holes with small cones protecting the surface... there are 3, one
for the ground and two for the electrode, depending on the desired
output Amperage.

I'm also in need of an electrode holder, electrodes, ground clamp...
basically everything to get this machine running except for the machine
itself.

Any suggestions (aside from tossing this FREE machine) are most
appreciated.

THANKS!

-Danno

Ill make a wager and say that your AirCo was made by Miller, and any
welding shop should have the proper Miller connectors.

Now if you have a lathe, you can easily make them.
I had a AirCo 250 "Bumblebee" welder pass through my hands last week,
that is the same machine as my Miller Dialarc 250, but with a
yellow/white coat of paint.

As for leads and stinger (rod holder), check your phone book for
Welding Machine Repair companys. A company that repairs welding
machines. Bring a dozen donuts and a smile and they will often let
you rummage around in their bone yards, and most carcasses will have a
set of leads and clamps. Ebay is another good source. Of course,
simply buying new is an option.

The connectors themselves are easy enough to make if you have a lathe
that can turn a taper.

Depending on where you live, I might be able to help you out. I have
"secret sources"

Gunner, who sold that AirCo Saturday to buy a Miller 250 HF with
torch, pedal and cooler...and Reliable Tool didnt hold it for me as I
had asked and sold it yesterday, #%&!**@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio