Al MacDonald

Default Mitutoyo linear scale for DRO

Greetings,

On ebay, I recently purchased a used Mitutoyo 800 mm linear scale for my
UDR220 counter. It arrived here and looks brand new. The sliding portion
(reading head?) seems to rock about with some slop but it slides back and
forth nicely and reads perfectly. Does this sound normal for a scale? I
haven't had one in my hands before. Also, a machinist friend told me they
can be difficult to install. It looks rather straight forward to me, but I
was wondering if there were any pitfalls that don't appear obvious to me. I
haven't found any generic installation instructions anywhere. And finally,
I'm looking for a couple of shorter scales for this counter, somewhere in
the 300 mm range -- any ideas on where I could go looking to find a good
used one, other than Mitutoyo?

Thanks for any input.

al.

Wild Bill

You didn't say if you have a manual for your UDR Counter. I had a UDR 100
unit and the manual specified which scales would work with the unit.

The UDR 100 manual showed user selected internal jumper settings for the
types of scales, and features for the display (diameter, etc).

The heads of most optical-quartz/glass linear scales are wobbly, as the
actual optical reader is held by a vibration dampening suspension system.
There are some relatively critical specifications for mounting the head and
scale relative positions.

I think you'll find some typical scale dimension specs contained in the DRO
System literature, but maybe it won't have the mounting tolerances
http://www.mitutoyo.com/Products/iss/literature.html

The AT211 literature might be more specific.

A good reference site is
http://www.mitutoyo.co.uk/Mit/mws.jsp?home

WB

"Al MacDonald" wrote in message
[...]

Wild Bill

I wasn't sure enough to say earlier, but the UDR 200 needs to have sinewave
differential scale signals.
This means that the more common TTL scales won't work with your counter.
You'd be better off getting Mitutoyo scales that are compatible with this
counter.

Also, Mitutoyo makes some scale/encoder adapters for certain units. I think
there is a list on the UK site mentioned earlier.

Long scales should be supported along their length (or near the center) for
the best results.

I don't have any scale installation specs in my files, but maybe someone
will offer to send you a photocopy or fax of the installation specs.