Wild Bill

I wasn't sure enough to say earlier, but the UDR 200 needs to have sinewave
differential scale signals.
This means that the more common TTL scales won't work with your counter.
You'd be better off getting Mitutoyo scales that are compatible with this
counter.

Also, Mitutoyo makes some scale/encoder adapters for certain units. I think
there is a list on the UK site mentioned earlier.

Long scales should be supported along their length (or near the center) for
the best results.

I don't have any scale installation specs in my files, but maybe someone
will offer to send you a photocopy or fax of the installation specs.

WB

"Al MacDonald" wrote in message
Greetings,

On ebay, I recently purchased a used Mitutoyo 800 mm linear scale for my
UDR220 counter. It arrived here and looks brand new. The sliding portion
(reading head?) seems to rock about with some slop but it slides back and
forth nicely and reads perfectly. Does this sound normal for a scale? I
haven't had one in my hands before. Also, a machinist friend told me they
can be difficult to install. It looks rather straight forward to me, but

was wondering if there were any pitfalls that don't appear obvious to me.

haven't found any generic installation instructions anywhere. And

finally,
I'm looking for a couple of shorter scales for this counter, somewhere in
the 300 mm range -- any ideas on where I could go looking to find a good
used one, other than Mitutoyo?

Thanks for any input.

al.