Martin H. Eastburn

Default Drill bits for starting holes?

Ignoramus5102 wrote:

I remember that in Russia, there were special drill bits to start
holes. They had a thick shank and sharp (think 40 degrees) conical
end. So they were very rigid and could start a hole precisely where it
was positioned. No "walking". Then you'd switch to whatever drill bit
was necessary to complete drilling.

It was useful for cases where you could not use a punch.

Are there such things in the US, and if so, what are they called?

Those might be carbide PCB drills in standard 1/8" shank, various number sizes,
and 82 degree cutting surface.

You might be talking about HSS with split point 82 ? degrees.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Winston

Ignoramus5102 wrote:
I remember that in Russia, there were special drill bits to start
holes. They had a thick shank and sharp (think 40 degrees) conical
end. So they were very rigid and could start a hole precisely where it
was positioned. No "walking". Then you'd switch to whatever drill bit
was necessary to complete drilling.

It was useful for cases where you could not use a punch.

Are there such things in the US, and if so, what are they called?

Center drill:
http://www.lathemaster.com/TN_Center_Drills.jpg

--Winston

Backlash

This type will still "walk" on you, unless work and tool are both in fixed
position, or a center punch mark is used for starting.

RJ

"Ignoramus5751" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:03:41 -0800, Winston

wrote:
Ignoramus5102 wrote:
I remember that in Russia, there were special drill bits to start
holes. They had a thick shank and sharp (think 40 degrees) conical
end. So they were very rigid and could start a hole precisely where it
was positioned. No "walking". Then you'd switch to whatever drill bit
was necessary to complete drilling.

It was useful for cases where you could not use a punch.

Are there such things in the US, and if so, what are they called?

Center drill:
http://www.lathemaster.com/TN_Center_Drills.jpg

Thanks, that's exactly what I am looking for.

Bob Chilcoat

HF was selling sets for $2.99 the other day. I added a set to my order just
on general principles.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

wrote:
Ignoramus5102 wrote:
I remember that in Russia, there were special drill bits to start
holes. They had a thick shank and sharp (think 40 degrees) conical
end. So they were very rigid and could start a hole precisely where it
was positioned. No "walking". Then you'd switch to whatever drill bit
was necessary to complete drilling.

It was useful for cases where you could not use a punch.

Are there such things in the US, and if so, what are they called?

Center drill:
http://www.lathemaster.com/TN_Center_Drills.jpg

Thanks, that's exactly what I am looking for.

bob hoffman

Ignoramus5102 wrote in news:cptool$gkp
:

I remember that in Russia, there were special drill bits to start
holes. They had a thick shank and sharp (think 40 degrees) conical
end. So they were very rigid and could start a hole precisely where it
was positioned. No "walking". Then you'd switch to whatever drill bit
was necessary to complete drilling.

It was useful for cases where you could not use a punch.

Are there such things in the US, and if so, what are they called?

MSC (mscdirect.com) stocks several brands of spotting drills in a 118
degree point (which of course matches the standard drill point angle). I
have found these to work really well both for drilling on the drill press
and mill and especially for the starting holes for hand held drilling in
alkward places. There are also other point angles available.
Winston

bob hoffman wrote:
Ignoramus5102 wrote in news:cptool$gkp
:

I remember that in Russia, there were special drill bits to start
holes. They had a thick shank and sharp (think 40 degrees) conical
end. So they were very rigid and could start a hole precisely where it
was positioned. No "walking". Then you'd switch to whatever drill bit
was necessary to complete drilling.

It was useful for cases where you could not use a punch.

Are there such things in the US, and if so, what are they called?

MSC (mscdirect.com) stocks several brands of spotting drills in a 118
degree point (which of course matches the standard drill point angle). I
have found these to work really well both for drilling on the drill press
and mill and especially for the starting holes for hand held drilling in
alkward places. There are also other point angles available.

Yes, but they list only 604 different sizes/types.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRAR?PMSECT=0000000626

(Snarky Grin)

--Winston