Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mike

Default welding aluminum

Hi all, I have a need to weld some frameworks in Aluminum 6061 & 6063
extrusions and plate, up to 1/4" and some extrusion to 1/2" plate. There's
almost enough of it to consider getting the equipment to weld it myself.
This is hobby stuff not commercial so part of the deal is to be able to do
it myself.

Here's the problem. Never done it before. Years ago did a reasonable amount
of gas welding in steel, mostly tube work race car and bike chassis, and
some general buzz box stick stuff.

What's the best method to weld this stuff? Mig? I've been looking at a
lincoln 135 or 175 with an AL mod. would an average welder get a good
result with either of these machines? Would a mig machine of this scale
give a decent structural weld? Is there something else I should look at?

Is anything from ( big intake of breath) HF able to do the job?

thanks...