ATP

Default J-Head on Van Norman/Nichols MIll?

Has anybody put a full sized Bridgeport type milling head on a Van Norman
#12 or a Nichols Hand Miller? If I put one on the Nichols the mill will be
dedicated to that head, which will greatly simplify the installation. The
Van Norman I would like to keep using in the traditional modes if possible,
and I can't envision how that huge head could go on there and swing out of
the way for horizontal milling, for example. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Waynemak

Mike how are things?
Getting back into the shop these days? I have to sell off some of th extras
to make some room for a few projects. I saw a J head for $200 last week, I
could take a close look if you want. I think the J head on the nichols would
be a bit top heavy, I have not been face to face with a #12. I had a guy
talk to me about a Van Norman 1/2 but that was a few weeks ago and I am sure
thats an OLD machine. I think you would do best to pick up a good vertical
mill, I use mine more than I use my Nichols, I don't use my drill press to
much with the mill sitting there.
Prices have still been very low on these machines up in our neck fo the
woods.
. net...
Has anybody put a full sized Bridgeport type milling head on a Van Norman

ATP

"Waynemak" wrote in message
Mike how are things?
Getting back into the shop these days? I have to sell off some of th

extras
to make some room for a few projects. I saw a J head for $200 last week, I
could take a close look if you want. I think the J head on the nichols

would
be a bit top heavy, I have not been face to face with a #12. I had a guy
talk to me about a Van Norman 1/2 but that was a few weeks ago and I am

sure
thats an OLD machine. I think you would do best to pick up a good vertical
mill, I use mine more than I use my Nichols, I don't use my drill press to
much with the mill sitting there.
Prices have still been very low on these machines up in our neck fo the
woods.

I picked up some J-type heads. I probably should have just waited for the
right vertical mill to come along. Sometimes I can't resist a project but
don't always have time to finish it. Last night I made an auger extension
for my posthole digger, for the purpose of stirring cesspools. Probably one
of the more practical uses of my shop:-)

"ATP" wrote in message
. net...
Has anybody put a full sized Bridgeport type milling head on a Van

Norman

ATP

"Waynemak" wrote in message
You picked up some??
More than 1?

4, two are pretty close to complete, the third is not too bad, but the
fourth is for parts.

"ATP" wrote in message
. net...

"Waynemak" wrote in message
[...]

"ATP" wrote in message
. net...
Has anybody put a full sized Bridgeport type milling head on a Van

Norman

Waynemak

You are better than me at collecting "stuff"
"ATP" wrote in message
. net...

"Waynemak" wrote in message
You picked up some??
More than 1?

4, two are pretty close to complete, the third is not too bad, but the
fourth is for parts.

"ATP" wrote in message
. net...

"Waynemak" wrote in message
[...]

. net...
#12 or a Nichols Hand Miller? If I put one on the Nichols the mill

will
be
dedicated to that head, which will greatly simplify the
installation.
The
Van Norman I would like to keep using in the traditional modes if
possible,
and I can't envision how that huge head could go on there and swing

out
of
the way for horizontal milling, for example. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

Barrel Trimmer/ Pen Mill Matt Woodturning 14 August 22nd 04 03:49 PM
Small mill advice BP Metalworking 12 August 13th 04 09:13 PM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM
Fisher cassette heads bg Electronics Repair 5 July 30th 03 05:04 AM