DoN. Nichols

Default Reply to Don Nichols---7" Ammco shaper

In article ,
Tim Williams wrote:
Don., the Manual I got on ebay cost me $35, it was a bid or 'buy me
now' type thing. I was hot to trot so I bought it. The area you
pointed out to download a manual from is the same as I bought.

That is one of my own private web pages. I scan the manuals for
older equipment when I get it, and usually burn a CD-ROM -- just in case
the original manual gets damaged or lost. Sometimes, I will put the
manual up on a web page, when someone else gets one without a manual --
assuming that the manuals are no longer available form the maker. I
believe in supporting makers who keep the parts and manuals available
for older equipment, so I won't put those up -- for example the one for
my Clausing lathe -- because Clausing sells them tailored to the serial
number of your machine for quite reasonable prices.

The
smaller download file was a little different. Live and learn. I have
the shaper just about completely torn down, with the help of a few
beers.

Oops! I tend to avoid the beers until the task is completed for
the day. It is also good to take photographs as you go -- with a
digital camera if possible, for possible help in getting it back
together.

But it sure will make it easier to clean up the 'ways', which
do need some help. The big problem is can I get it back together
again. The 'bull gear' drive mechanism does not look anything like
what is shown in either of those manuals. The Ammco has a dove tailed
sliding mechanism.

Hmm ... there is an older AMMCO (6") which has only one oiler
cup on each side of the ram, instead of three, and which has a different
feed mechanism.

Maybe the Delta drive is different. If you are
interested I'll send you a photograph of the Ammco bull gear setup.

I'm afraid that won't work. I have my e-mail server configured
to reject any e-mail larger than 30K, which keeps the number of virii
down to a very small count. Not that the virii can harm my unix system,
but I have a couple of small mailing lists supported on it, and those
have machines which are vulnerable to virii on them, so it helps to keep
things clean. (Plus, a few years ago, I got something like 900 copies
of a specific virus in a single day, and it was chewing up a lot of my
bandwidth. That is what convinced me to reject the larger objects.

If you have a web page to put it on -- or if you send it to the
dropbox, and then post what the filename is, I could then access it.
The dropbox can be found at http://www.metalworking.com -- click on the

[ About the Dropbox ]

bar to learn how to upload images to it (via eMail).

Thanks,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564