NokNokMan

Default Correct speed for a very thin slotting saw?

Hi group,
I'm over halfway done (I think) with the Skeleton Wall Clock by WR Smith. I
need to slot a small brass block for the pendulum support. The support
'spring' is a length of .006 feeler stock. Smith describes how he did
it...he used a .010 slotting saw (he didn't have a .006) and then closed up
the slot to fit the thickness of the spring. I went ahead and bought a .006
slitting saw. It's obviously very thin and delicate, so I would like to
know what speed I should run the saw at and what technique would work best
for creating the slot. Thanks in advance.
Nok

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Ned Simmons wrote:
In article yd80d.10506$bE1.6543859
, says...
Hi group,
I'm over halfway done (I think) with the Skeleton Wall Clock by WR Smith. I
need to slot a small brass block for the pendulum support. The support
'spring' is a length of .006 feeler stock. Smith describes how he did
it...he used a .010 slotting saw (he didn't have a .006) and then closed up
the slot to fit the thickness of the spring. I went ahead and bought a .006
slitting saw. It's obviously very thin and delicate, so I would like to
know what speed I should run the saw at and what technique would work best
for creating the slot. Thanks in advance.
Nok

Since this is only one slot and presumably you're in no
rush, I'd be conservative and start around 50FPM and

Which works out to about 64 RPM, assuming a 3" diameter slitting
saw.

perhaps 1/2 thousandth feed per tooth. If the location of
the slot is critical you may want to make cheeks for your
arbor to support the saw near its periphery.

Agreed -- controlled by how deep the slot needs to be.

Cutting brass -- you probably need no lubricant.

But a flow of compressed air to keep the chips from flowing back
into the area of cutting would be a good idea.

If you've never used a saw this thin, they're tougher than
you'd expect. Unless the slot is very deep this should be
quite easy.

And it if *is* very deep, make lots of passes.

Do you have a horizontal spindle milling machine? That is what
the slitting saws are made to be used in. However, you can get away
with a vertical spindle mill and the right arbor for something this
light a cut.

Good Luck,
DoN
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |