Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rod Cutting

I am looking for a better faster way to cut or shear 304 stainless rod.
From 1/8 upto maybe 3/8. Certainly 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 & 5/16. I need to
be able to maintain predictable lengths. Larger than 3/8 its probably
just as easy to do it on the lathe, because I have to radius one end
anyway.

The abrasive chop saw is the fastest I've tried in my shop, but the ends
need a horrible amount of work. Bandsaw is slow and/or dangerous
depending on setup.

I figured some sort of shear the cuts it with a scissoring action might
work. I can't have the end bent over, but a burr that can be quickly
removed on the belt grinder would be tolerable.

One of the neatest tools I've seen is a disk mounted on a hardy shank
with various size holes. Then a matching disc was bolted to it free to
rotate around a common center. In this case it was a shop made tool and
the user seemed to only be doing hot cuts. The second disc had a
protrusion he would strike with a hammer after inserting the rod. The
rotation of the second disc would shear the rod. I'm not so sure
something like that would work for cold cutting. I'm also not so sure I
want to spend a day building a tool like that if there is something
ready made available at a reasonable price.

Before folks say, "Just use a hacksaw," or "Why CAN'T you do it on the
lathe?" I do a lot of these and time is important. If it was just once
in a while and just a couple pieces it would be no big deal.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 4:05:28 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
I am looking for a better faster way to cut or shear 304 stainless rod.
From 1/8 upto maybe 3/8. Certainly 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 & 5/16. I need to
be able to maintain predictable lengths. Larger than 3/8 its probably
just as easy to do it on the lathe, because I have to radius one end
anyway.

The abrasive chop saw is the fastest I've tried in my shop, but the ends
need a horrible amount of work. Bandsaw is slow and/or dangerous
depending on setup.

Have you tried 3M Cubitron in your chop saw? I think that is the best way at a reasonable price. But the abrasive makes a huge difference. If you have not used 3M Cubitron try it.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

I am looking for a better faster way to cut or shear 304 stainless rod.
From 1/8 upto maybe 3/8. Certainly 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 & 5/16. I need to
be able to maintain predictable lengths. Larger than 3/8 its probably
just as easy to do it on the lathe, because I have to radius one end
anyway.

The abrasive chop saw is the fastest I've tried in my shop, but the ends
need a horrible amount of work. Bandsaw is slow and/or dangerous
depending on setup.

I figured some sort of shear the cuts it with a scissoring action might
work. I can't have the end bent over, but a burr that can be quickly
removed on the belt grinder would be tolerable. ...

----------------------------

You might look into rebar cutters.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/7/2021 10:31 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe"Â* wrote in message ...
I am looking for a better faster way to cut or shear 304 stainless rod.
From 1/8 upto maybe 3/8.Â* Certainly 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 & 5/16.Â* I need to
be able to maintain predictable lengths.Â* Larger than 3/8 its probably
just as easy to do it on the lathe, because I have to radius one end
anyway.

The abrasive chop saw is the fastest I've tried in my shop, but the ends
need a horrible amount of work.Â* Bandsaw is slow and/or dangerous
depending on setup.

I figured some sort of shear the cuts it with a scissoring action might
work.Â* I can't have the end bent over, but a burr that can be quickly
removed on the belt grinder would be tolerable. ...

----------------------------

You might look into rebar cutters.

I went back to cutting them on the bandsaw. I don't use the 4x6 much
anymore so I set that one up for it. I didn't really want to change the
blade on the 7x12 or the vertical. Still looking for a faster solution.
It sounds like the tool I want is called a "rod parter."

I'm still playing with the idea of a rotating hammer shear. I might add
that to my fun play time projects list. If it doesn't work I can modify
it to go on one of the press, and if it still doesn't work, well then
I'll have a hot shear for making rivets. LOL.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

I'm still playing with the idea of a rotating hammer shear. I might add
that to my fun play time projects list. If it doesn't work I can modify
it to go on one of the press, and if it still doesn't work, well then
I'll have a hot shear for making rivets. LOL.
------------------------

Another idea:
https://www.trick-tools.com/Rod_Shea...4 00_SCT_1947

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 06:38:40 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

I'm still playing with the idea of a rotating hammer shear. I might add
that to my fun play time projects list. If it doesn't work I can modify
it to go on one of the press, and if it still doesn't work, well then
I'll have a hot shear for making rivets. LOL.
------------------------

Another idea:
https://www.trick-tools.com/Rod_Shea...4 00_SCT_1947

Or a CNC lathe with a bar feeder and a cutoff tool.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 6:38:49 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...
I'm still playing with the idea of a rotating hammer shear. I might add
that to my fun play time projects list. If it doesn't work I can modify
it to go on one of the press, and if it still doesn't work, well then
I'll have a hot shear for making rivets. LOL.
------------------------

Another idea:
https://www.trick-tools.com/Rod_Shea...4 00_SCT_1947

3D printed rivets might be best over time.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 14:05:24 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

I am looking for a better faster way to cut or shear 304 stainless rod.
From 1/8 upto maybe 3/8. Certainly 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 & 5/16. I need to
[...]

Band saw 2 at a time works. 3 they end up jumping out.

Randy
Remove 333 to reply.
Randy