Grant Erwin

Default milling feeds

I just got around to installing the powerfeed on my ancient Bridgeport.
My DRO has a function for reading the feed rate. I assume it's in inches
per minute. If I'm flycutting something at 200 rpm, (single flycutter)
that's 200 cuts per minute. If I adjust to 1"/minute that's .005"/cut.
If I'm trying for a fine finish on cast iron, is that about right? Way
too slow?

I am pretty ignorant about feed rates. Anyone care to elucidate?

GWE
W. Washington

Jon Elson

Grant Erwin wrote:
I just got around to installing the powerfeed on my ancient Bridgeport.
My DRO has a function for reading the feed rate. I assume it's in inches
per minute. If I'm flycutting something at 200 rpm, (single flycutter)
that's 200 cuts per minute. If I adjust to 1"/minute that's .005"/cut.
If I'm trying for a fine finish on cast iron, is that about right? Way
too slow?

That's probably good. You want a cutting edge that is either very
smoohtly rounded (in profile to the cut material) or nearly flat across
an area slightly greater than your .005 advance per cutting edge.
I usually go for the rounded cutter, as it is easier to make. If the
cutting edge is sharply pointed (like a lathe threading tool) it will
make narrow grooves in the surface.

Jon