Old January 4th 21, 07:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default lowest viscosity oil

What't the lowest viscosity oil anyone has come across here? It looks like
some of the "spindle" oils get pretty thin. Are they used in a special way?
How low are the clearances those bearings run at?

Old January 4th 21, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 06:37:24 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

What't the lowest viscosity oil anyone has come across here? It looks like
some of the "spindle" oils get pretty thin. Are they used in a special way?
How low are the clearances those bearings run at?

You're on the right track with spindle oils -- they're the lowest
viscosity oils I'm aware of, other than perhaps special
watch/instrument oils. I've used Mobil Velocite #6 in an air over
hydraulic system where the thinnest available hydraulic oil limited
the speed of the system. Velocite #6 (ISO 10) seems similar in
viscosity to kerosene. I've never handled Velocite #3, which is even
thinner.

The thinnest spindle oils are probably most commonly used in high
speed pre-loaded bearings with oil-mist lubrication.

https://www.mcmaster.com/spindle-oil

--
Ned Simmons
Old January 5th 21, 05:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

What't the lowest viscosity oil anyone has come across here? It looks like
some of the "spindle" oils get pretty thin. Are they used in a special way?
How low are the clearances those bearings run at?

You're on the right track with spindle oils -- they're the lowest
viscosity oils I'm aware of, other than perhaps special
watch/instrument oils. I've used Mobil Velocite #6 in an air over
hydraulic system where the thinnest available hydraulic oil limited
the speed of the system. Velocite #6 (ISO 10) seems similar in
viscosity to kerosene. I've never handled Velocite #3, which is even
thinner.

The thinnest spindle oils are probably most commonly used in high
speed pre-loaded bearings with oil-mist lubrication.

https://www.mcmaster.com/spindle-oil

where would air tool oil fit into this? BTW, being a ex silly servant
who, at one point was resposible for cleaning out a redundant office
facility, I have a couple little bottles of "Government of Canada"
typewriter oil!
Old January 5th 21, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/3/2021 11:37 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
What't the lowest viscosity oil anyone has come across here? It looks like
some of the "spindle" oils get pretty thin. Are they used in a special way?
How low are the clearances those bearings run at?

Look at Lilly White sewing machine oil.

https://www.avg.com

Old January 5th 21, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
On 1/3/2021 11:37 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
What't the lowest viscosity oil anyone has come across here? It looks like
some of the "spindle" oils get pretty thin. Are they used in a special way?
How low are the clearances those bearings run at?

Look at Lilly White sewing machine oil.

What's so special about sewing machines? I've never torn one part, but know
some have an oil filled sump. Not sure about what the moving parts or
stresses are on those things.

Old January 5th 21, 11:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/5/2021 11:53 AM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
On 1/3/2021 11:37 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
What't the lowest viscosity oil anyone has come across here? It

looks like
some of the "spindle" oils get pretty thin. Are they used in a

special way?
How low are the clearances those bearings run at?

Look at Lilly White sewing machine oil.

What's so special about sewing machines? I've never torn one part,

but know
some have an oil filled sump. Not sure about what the moving parts or
stresses are on those things.

They are fast and use a very low vis oil. As low as ISO22 (on the low
end of the SAE10 range) Due to stain potential they prefer very clear
oil. Other than that. No clue.

Velocite #10 is an ISO22 also, and there are lighter grades of Velocite
spindle oil.

https://www.avg.com

Old January 6th 21, 05:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/5/21 12:53 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
On 1/3/2021 11:37 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
What't the lowest viscosity oil anyone has come across here? It looks like
some of the "spindle" oils get pretty thin. Are they used in a special way?
How low are the clearances those bearings run at?

Look at Lilly White sewing machine oil.

What's so special about sewing machines? I've never torn one part, but know
some have an oil filled sump. Not sure about what the moving parts or
stresses are on those things.

They need a very clear, usually vegetable-based, oil that will not stain
or leave a permanent mark on fabrics.