Default oil viscosity and microinch

I have my rebuild car engine in my toolroom and wonder about how much
oil pressure at what viscosity to fill the bearings space. What is
"film float" and how to calculate it.

Ed Huntress

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have my rebuild car engine in my toolroom and wonder about how much
oil pressure at what viscosity to fill the bearings space. What is
"film float" and how to calculate it.

It's not clear what you're trying to accomplish. If you're trying to "float"
the mechanical parts on an oil film (hydrostatic lubrication), that isn't
the result of pressure from the oil pump, and no car-engine oil pump is
going to accomplish it. The oil flim develops from moving parts sliding
relative to each other -- hydrodynamic lubrication.

Are you just trying to lube the engine in preparation for its first run
after a rebuild? If so, you just want to make sure there's plenty of oil in
the bearings and that the oil pump is fully primed. One way that's done is
to pull the distributor and to drive the oil pump with a big variable-speed
drill for a half-minute or so, then replace the distributor and fire up the
engine quickly.

But that depends on the engine, and how the oil pump is driven.

--
Ed Huntress

Tom Gardner

Every engine I have rebuilt was assembled with "Lubriplate" or other
assembly lube. STP works well also. If youu wait for oil pressure you can
damage bearings.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have my rebuild car engine in my toolroom and wonder about how much
oil pressure at what viscosity to fill the bearings space. What is
"film float" and how to calculate it.

warren

All you need to do is use the same oil that is recommended for the
engine on the bearings. Using Lubriplate is not a good idea because any
globs of it can plug the oil pump pickup screen. Also lubriplate is
very hard to keep clean, not unless you open up an new can/tube
everytime and your hands are spotless. Nothing like rubbing a little
dirt on the bearings. While using oil use directly from the oil
container and just pour a little on. The access will just run off,
just the same as when the engine is shut off. Only room for so much
oil. Another thing you can do is fill the oil filter with oil too.
Prime the engine as mentioned before, by turing the oil pump. If not
feasible than crank the engine with ignition off until builds up oil
pressure. The little bit of turning and as long as everything was
oiled it will not hurt anything.
I rebuilt engines for over 20 years from little 4 bangers to heavy duty
diesels. Cleaniness is the most importance.

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:
Every engine I have rebuilt was assembled with "Lubriplate" or other
assembly lube. STP works well also. If youu wait for oil pressure

you can
damage bearings.

ups.com...