Gunner

Default what are 7mf 1500 volt caps good for?

Ive got around a dozen 7mf 1500 volt capacitors. What are they good
for?

Anyone need them?

Gunner

It's not unwise to remember that Mother Nature is essentially a
murderous, sneakly, promiscuous bitch who has been trying to kill you
since your conception.

Eventually she will succeed, perhaps with the help of your fellow man.

Life consists in putting off the inevitable as long as possible and
taking what good and joy you can before her success.

Whether you attribute that situation to evolutionary forces, a fallen
nature after Adam and Eve screwed the pooch, or whatever, it's no less true.

Be friendly, pleasant, unaggressive, and honest toward all and be
prepared to ignore, avoid, or even kill anyone who is otherwise toward
you. Being ready doesn't mean eager, just ready. What true friends are
found in life will undestand and accept that fundamental rule of human
interaction." John Husvar
Steve Smith

Tim Williams wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

Ive got around a dozen 7mf 1500 volt capacitors. What are they good
for?

Anyone need them?

7 "MFD" (MicroFaraD), "mF" (miliFarad) or µF (micro-Farad)?

If they can be picked up by hand, I suspect they aren't 0.007 Farad
1500V caps (i.e. milliFarad). Probably 7 micro farad.

Steve
Donald

If they are old oil filled with PCB caps that is a big no-no! They should be
properly disposed of.
Donald Warner

Don't let the facts interfere with your prejudices

Harry Conover

Gunner wrote in message . ..
Ive got around a dozen 7mf 1500 volt capacitors. What are they good
for?

Anyone need them?

Gunner

Check with a friend who is a ham radio operator.

They might make good power supply filter capacitors in a home-brew,
medium power, tube type transmitter.

Harry C.

Is a link for a support group for machining a 1/4 scale running Offenhauser
270 engine.

Les
Gunner

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:43:29 -0400, "Donald"

If they are old oil filled with PCB caps that is a big no-no! They should be
properly disposed of.
Donald Warner

Don't let the facts interfere with your prejudices

They say " flammable liquid, no pcbs".

Gunner

It's not unwise to remember that Mother Nature is essentially a
murderous, sneakly, promiscuous bitch who has been trying to kill you
since your conception.

Eventually she will succeed, perhaps with the help of your fellow man.

Life consists in putting off the inevitable as long as possible and
taking what good and joy you can before her success.

Whether you attribute that situation to evolutionary forces, a fallen
nature after Adam and Eve screwed the pooch, or whatever, it's no less true.

Be friendly, pleasant, unaggressive, and honest toward all and be
prepared to ignore, avoid, or even kill anyone who is otherwise toward
you. Being ready doesn't mean eager, just ready. What true friends are
found in life will undestand and accept that fundamental rule of human
interaction." John Husvar
Gunner

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:29:13 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Charge one up, sneak-up behind a loved one and...

Loved one? Not for long.....

Hummm better mousetrap ideas spring to mind....G

Gunner

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Gunner

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:34:37 -0400, Steve Smith
wrote:

Tim Williams wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
. ..

Ive got around a dozen 7mf 1500 volt capacitors. What are they good
for?

Anyone need them?

7 "MFD" (MicroFaraD), "mF" (miliFarad) or µF (micro-Farad)?

If they can be picked up by hand, I suspect they aren't 0.007 Farad
1500V caps (i.e. milliFarad). Probably 7 micro farad.

Steve

They are silver cans, rectangular in shape with rounded sides, about
8" tall, by 1.25 or so thick and 4" wide.

They say 7 MF 1500 volt. Internal resistor

They look like much larger versions of the rectangular ones in this
pictu
http://www.capacitorindustries.com/images/CBB65web.jpg

Gunner

It's not unwise to remember that Mother Nature is essentially a
murderous, sneakly, promiscuous bitch who has been trying to kill you
since your conception.

Eventually she will succeed, perhaps with the help of your fellow man.

Life consists in putting off the inevitable as long as possible and
taking what good and joy you can before her success.

Whether you attribute that situation to evolutionary forces, a fallen
nature after Adam and Eve screwed the pooch, or whatever, it's no less true.

Be friendly, pleasant, unaggressive, and honest toward all and be
prepared to ignore, avoid, or even kill anyone who is otherwise toward
you. Being ready doesn't mean eager, just ready. What true friends are
found in life will undestand and accept that fundamental rule of human
interaction." John Husvar
DoN. Nichols

wrote:

Tim Williams wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message

Ive got around a dozen 7mf 1500 volt capacitors. What are they good
for?

[ ... ]

7 "MFD" (MicroFaraD), "mF" (miliFarad) or µF (micro-Farad)?

[ ... ]

If they can be picked up by hand, I suspect they aren't 0.007 Farad
1500V caps (i.e. milliFarad). Probably 7 micro farad.

[ ... ]

They are silver cans, rectangular in shape with rounded sides, about
8" tall, by 1.25 or so thick and 4" wide.

They say 7 MF 1500 volt. Internal resistor

*Way* too small for 7 mF -- almost certainly 7 uF.

Can you find anything which might be a date code on them? the
"7 MF" designation sounds really old.

I wonder about the internal resistor. It could either be a
parallel resistor to safely discharge it when the power source goes
away, or a series resistor to limit the current available from discharge.

If the former, it could be used for serious strobe lights --
especially if you parallel up a bactch of them.

If the latter (series resistor) I guess that it could be used
for high-voltage filtering (though it would not be as good as one
without the series resistor for fast changing loads).

However -- it the caps are stored without a wire connecting the
terminals (which is common on high-voltage caps) then I think that we
can assume that it is a parallel internal resistor for safely
discharging the caps.

So -- think electronic flash units -- including those to
optically pump a Nd-YAG laser.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

jim rozen

In article , DoN. Nichols says...

Can you find anything which might be a date code on them? the
"7 MF" designation sounds really old.

Some manufacturers never really caught on to the appropriate
nomenclature.

I wonder about the internal resistor. It could either be a
parallel resistor to safely discharge it when the power source goes
away, or a series resistor to limit the current available from discharge.

The resistor is most likely to prevent self-charging. My old boss
used to store these with a wire shunt across the terminals - he
claimed that cosmic rays would charge them up over time.

As for the best use? As already mentioned, you just wave them
around (working end pointing outward of course) at your buddies.
Doesn't matter if you charged them up or not, you get a great
reaction either way!

Jim

please reply to:
Vaughn

"Harry Conover" wrote in message
m...
Gunner wrote in message

. ..
Ive got around a dozen 7mf 1500 volt capacitors. What are they good
for?

Anyone need them?

Gunner

Check with a friend who is a ham radio operator.

They might make good power supply filter capacitors in a home-brew,
medium power, tube type transmitter.

Exactly! Or tube-type linear amplifier. Might be worth enough to put on
e-bay, depends on what your time is worth.

I see many inexpensive things on e-bay and continually wonder why people
bother.

Vaughn

Harry C.

Ian Stirling

Tom Gardner wrote:
Charge one up, sneak-up behind a loved one and...

Kill them stone dead?
Tom Gardner

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Tom Gardner wrote:
Charge one up, sneak-up behind a loved one and...

Kill them stone dead?

Nobody has a sence of humor anymore! I was going to say sneak up on the
barky dog but I would have torches and pitchforks at my door. I always
sneak-up on Fritz (mini schnauser) after he gets shaved and while he is
asleep in my chair, I put a cold can of pop on his bare belly. In
retaliation, he takes a running leap at my sleeping form in the same chair.
He's still my best bud even when I read Schnauser recipies to him, and he
jumps into my lap and farts and leaves.

axolotl

Gunner wrote:
Ive got around a dozen 7mf 1500 volt capacitors. What are they good
for?

The kids (and professors) at my son's school use them to destroy things-
some of the projects would be quarter shrinkers, EMP generators,
anything that needs a lot of energy for a short time. The twin
supersoaker squirt taser was nixed by the safety people. The cohort is
called "Things That Go Bang". And they do. I wish they had a college
like that when I was a boy.

Heres a page on quarter shrinking:
http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinker.html

Kevin Gallimore

Martin H. Eastburn

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Are they "Run" caps ? small effect on the inductive loop but there to
reduce Z or effective XL of the coil. e.g. get more current in the winding.
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Martin H. Eastburn

Ok - we decided they were 7uf high voltage. Put two in parallel and
you have 14 uf at the same voltage. Two in series and 3.5uf at double voltage.

In parallel they simply add. 10ea. = 70uf.

They could be used in a voltage doubler or t rippler... for a GM tube ?

Martin

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Gunner

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 04:27:38 GMT, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Are they "Run" caps ? small effect on the inductive loop but there to
reduce Z or effective XL of the coil. e.g. get more current in the winding.
Martin

No idea. Thats why I posted the question. G Im handy with a meter,
but Im more of the greasy fingernail, find the open, swap out a board,
sort.

Gunner
"She's (my daughter) already dating a sex offender.
Better that than a republican fundie neocon fascist."
FF, (alt.machines.cnc)
Ian Stirling

Tom Gardner wrote:
Charge one up, sneak-up behind a loved one and...

Kill them stone dead?

Nobody has a sence of humor anymore! I was going to say sneak up on the
barky dog but I would have torches and pitchforks at my door. I always
sneak-up on Fritz (mini schnauser) after he gets shaved and while he is
asleep in my chair, I put a cold can of pop on his bare belly. In
retaliation, he takes a running leap at my sleeping form in the same chair.
He's still my best bud even when I read Schnauser recipies to him, and he
jumps into my lap and farts and leaves.

Seriously though, there is enough energy there to kill.
Maybe not always, but not infrequently.

Tom Gardner

My gut says no kill. Somebody with more math skill will have to work this
out.

Lets see:

1 farrad= 1 coulome=1amp
7 uF=.007amp at 1500v
I think I've been hit with more from a sparkplug wire on many occasions and
I was only mentally damaged.

Spehro Pefhany

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:53:30 GMT, the renowned "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

My gut says no kill. Somebody with more math skill will have to work this
out.

Lets see:

1 farrad= 1 coulome=1amp
7 uF=.007amp at 1500v
I think I've been hit with more from a sparkplug wire on many occasions and
I was only mentally damaged.

energy = C*V^2/2 = 8J. A defibrillator delivers a couple of dozen to a
couple of hundred J, so I would not bet on it being fatal for a normal
person unless it makes you fall off a ladder into a wood chipper or
something.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Ian Stirling

Tom Gardner wrote:
My gut says no kill. Somebody with more math skill will have to work this
out.

Lets see:

1 farrad= 1 coulome=1amp

Err, no.
1 Farad = 1 Coulomb/V.
1 amp, 1F = 1V/s.

7 uF=.007amp at 1500v

Discharging it all in one second gives .015A.
However, at high voltage, the body has a resistance of some 500 ohms.
This means that the current starts at 3A or more.

So, it'll discharge in about 2ms.

I think I've been hit with more from a sparkplug wire on many occasions and
I was only mentally damaged.

Spark plug wires will not put out more than a few tens of milliamps, at best.
Ken Davey

Tom Gardner wrote:
My gut says no kill. Somebody with more math skill will have to work

this
out.

Lets see:

1 farrad= 1 coulome=1amp

Err, no.
1 Farad = 1 Coulomb/V.
1 amp, 1F = 1V/s.

7 uF=.007amp at 1500v

Discharging it all in one second gives .015A.
However, at high voltage, the body has a resistance of some 500 ohms.
This means that the current starts at 3A or more.

So, it'll discharge in about 2ms.

I think I've been hit with more from a sparkplug wire on many occasions

and
I was only mentally damaged.

Lets see - life lesson - discharging a cap (no matter what size) with one's
body is *no* fun.
On the other hand discharging it with someone else's body could be fun
depending on the sense of humour of said person and your ability to run
(fast).
Now, to relate this to another thread - Discharging a cap with the body of a
squirrel (or your varmint of choice/opportunity) - now that could be *lots*
of fun and practical to boot!

Sincerely.
Ken.

Koz

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

Reminds me of a 1920's book of fun projects for boys I used to have. One project was how to wire the top of your fence to fry cats.

Being a manufacturer of metal conveyor belting (like matting) I've been tempted to set out a bowl of milk on the metal mat for a few days...then on about the 5th tie one electrical lead to the mat and the other in the bowl. Of course I'm too nice to do that to cats. I wonder if nuts are conductive enough.....

Koz