Mike Hardy

Default Have questions

I had some of these made for me. I want to reproduce them to the best
of my ability. Curious as to how these were pressed out or what I
could use or purchase to duplicate these. I know it started as a piece
of rectangle aluminum and were pressed to form. Then, a square hole
was punched in the middle. Any ideas on the process here? I have a
small garage shop and cant go purchase some thousand dollar machine. I
searched on the web some and saw these things called "fly presses"
that use a weighted wheel and a long threaded shaft that create heavy
downward force.

Pics at http://home.comcast.net/~kailamenjaro/
Jim

In article , twofas4luv2000
@yahoo.com says...
I had some of these made for me. I want to reproduce them to the best
of my ability. Curious as to how these were pressed out or what I
could use or purchase to duplicate these. I know it started as a piece
of rectangle aluminum and were pressed to form. Then, a square hole
was punched in the middle. Any ideas on the process here? I have a
small garage shop and cant go purchase some thousand dollar machine. I
searched on the web some and saw these things called "fly presses"
that use a weighted wheel and a long threaded shaft that create heavy
downward force.

Pics at http://home.comcast.net/~kailamenjaro/

What's the thickness of the stock? Overall size of the part?

If you are talking about a press with a motor driven flywheel, large
screw from the crankshaft to adjust ram height etc. be very careful,
most of the older ones don't have a hydraulic overload system. Bad
things can happen in a hurry with the ram height set too low and no
overload.

Jim Kovar
Vulcan, Mi
Karen Story

How I would do this depends a lot on how many I needed. If I just needed
a few I'd make up a male/female die setup for my bench vise wherein I
put the aluminum rectangle in, crank in the vise, crank out the vise and
remove the part, etc. To punch a square hole in aluminum doesn't take
that much force. You can make or buy a square punch in the size you need
and fix it to the end of a ram on a cheap arbor press and you can make
up a fitting to hold the die on the table of the arbor press.

This piece looks eminently suitable for high speed production. But I
doubt you want to make a million of them.

Grant

Mike Hardy wrote:
I had some of these made for me. I want to reproduce them to the best
of my ability. Curious as to how these were pressed out or what I
could use or purchase to duplicate these. I know it started as a piece
of rectangle aluminum and were pressed to form. Then, a square hole
was punched in the middle. Any ideas on the process here? I have a
small garage shop and cant go purchase some thousand dollar machine. I
searched on the web some and saw these things called "fly presses"
that use a weighted wheel and a long threaded shaft that create heavy
downward force.

Pics at http://home.comcast.net/~kailamenjaro/

Mike Hardy

The part is 1.5 X 1.75 inches and about .10 inches thick. Thinking of
going with aluminum about .06 or .05 on thickness. The .10 is really
thicker than I need.

Mike Hardy wrote:

I had some of these made for me. I want to reproduce them to the best
of my ability. Curious as to how these were pressed out or what I
could use or purchase to duplicate these. I know it started as a piece
of rectangle aluminum and were pressed to form. Then, a square hole
was punched in the middle. Any ideas on the process here? I have a
small garage shop and cant go purchase some thousand dollar machine. I
searched on the web some and saw these things called "fly presses"
that use a weighted wheel and a long threaded shaft that create heavy
downward force.

Pics at http://home.comcast.net/~kailamenjaro/

Andrew Mawson

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]