David Malicky

Default Lathe table dimensions

I'm building a table for my 11x24 Logan/Powermatic lathe. After
seeing the recent posts on lathes tumbling over, I'd appreciate the
group's advice on how wide apart to put the feet. I don't expect to
move it much, but don't want it to be tippy when I do. I'm in a small
space so no wider than necessary. The table will be brazed steel (two
4x4x.120 tubes for the main rails, ~2x2s for the legs, etc.), with
sand in the 4x4s. The 1.5HP motor will be mounted below. I can add
ballast if needed.

I am thinking of putting the spindle CL at ~45" off the
floor--reasonable? (I'm 6'0")

What feet width would give enough stability w/o being excessive?

Thanks, David
David Malicky

Great idea! Problem solved -- thanks. David

Mark Rand wrote in message A thought would be:-
Make the table about 20-24" from front to back (shouldn't need any more for
that size of lathe).
Near the bottom of the legs braze, weld or bolt a 2x2" or 2x4" tube between
front and back legs. These will be part of the structure and add stiffness
but, more importantly, when you want to move the table, you can slide some bar
or timber into the tubes and use jacks, crowbars and skates under them to move
the table. The bar or timber can be long enough to give any required
stability.