Old February 1st 20, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Have You Cut Hard Metals With a Carbide Tipped Bandsaw Blade

I was looking at this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/162094396976

They claim:

****
I would recommend this band for hard metals and metal alloys. Some
examples are Titanium and Inconel. It is also great for standard
materials where the customer wants longer blade life than regular
bimetal blades. Many of our customers report excellent re-sawing of
hardwoods with this blade!
****

How hard of metal can you cut with something like this? Could you cut
hardened and tempered tool steel with it? I know an M42 bimetal blade
struggles with that sort of thing. It will cut slowly, then stop when it
hits a slightly harder spot.

They promote it for other things, but even if I bought one it would get
rarely used. 3TPI is not enough for a lot of things.

Old February 3rd 20, 01:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
I was looking at this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/162094396976

They claim:

****
I would recommend this band for hard metals and metal alloys. Some
examples are Titanium and Inconel. It is also great for standard
materials where the customer wants longer blade life than regular
bimetal blades. Many of our customers report excellent re-sawing of
hardwoods with this blade!
****

How hard of metal can you cut with something like this? Could you cut
hardened and tempered tool steel with it? I know an M42 bimetal blade
struggles with that sort of thing. It will cut slowly, then stop when it
hits a slightly harder spot.

They promote it for other things, but even if I bought one it would get
rarely used. 3TPI is not enough for a lot of things.

Looking at Staretts own site says they can cut a lot of hard alloys. But
3 TPI is real coarse for most shop work, unless it's thick or wood.

--
Steve W.