Default PTC ProDesktop

Does any kind soul have copy of the free d/l of this programme they'd
be willing to email to me?
I had it and my puter crashed and lost everything, PTC aren't replying
to my emails about getting this programme back.
Mike in BC

Jeff, if you want to share a file with someone, you can set your home or
shop PC up to do that with a simple free little program. If you are
interested, you can read about it and download it he
http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/sswww.htm

It is made for sharing web pages, but it works fine for downloading too.
Just put a blank index.htm file in whatever folder you want. Put the file to
download in there, and start the program. It will tell you your IP address.
your download link would then be (made up IP address)
http://244.244.244.244/filename.zip or whatever the file is. It only allows
access to the files that are in the folder you designate, so it is very
safe.

Chris

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
news

wrote:
Does any kind soul have copy of the free d/l of this programme they'd
be willing to email to me?
I had it and my puter crashed and lost everything, PTC aren't replying
to my emails about getting this programme back.
Mike in BC

I've got the zipped downloaded file, but it's 33 Megs in size, and the
.cab file inside it is 28 megs. I don't have enough storage space at my
ISP to put it up there for you. Best if I put it on a CD and mail it to

you.

If you wanna try that, e-mail me.

Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"As long as there are exams in public schools there will be prayer in
public schools."

Jeff Wisnia

c wrote:
Jeff, if you want to share a file with someone, you can set your home or
shop PC up to do that with a simple free little program. If you are
interested, you can read about it and download it he
http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/sswww.htm

It is made for sharing web pages, but it works fine for downloading too.
Just put a blank index.htm file in whatever folder you want. Put the file to
download in there, and start the program. It will tell you your IP address.
your download link would then be (made up IP address)
http://244.244.244.244/filename.zip or whatever the file is. It only allows
access to the files that are in the folder you designate, so it is very
safe.

Chris

Thanks, that's an interesting one to know about. I took a quick look at it.

I'm using Comcast for my ISP, and I've got a feeling my IP addie may
change to one of several different possibilities each time I connect.

If so, that sounds like it could present as problem in letting the
recipient know what IP addie to use when they get around to wanting to
download the file.

Also, I've got a router here sharing the connection with a couple of
computers, and it looks like that "Simple Server" is reporting the
router's address (192.168.1.100), and from what little I know about this
stuff, I'm betting that isn't the addie to give to the folks who want to
pull a file.

I can look at the router and it will give me a WAN IP addie
(24.147.191.149 at this moment.) which is probably the one I'd give to
the worls. Perhaps if I didn't shut things off there'd be up to 24 hours
before the "lease expired", and maybe the WAN IP addie won't change when
the lease is renewed? (That I don't know.)

More later, if I learn anything.

Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"As long as there are exams in public schools there will be prayer in
public schools."

Jeff Wisnia

Default PTC ProDesktop-Try This

OK, I'm giving That AnalogX "Simple Server" a try now that I'm at the
office.

So, "Mike in BC", see if you can download Pro Desktop Express from this
location:

http://169.254.160.200/prodexpress_en.zip

My "server" should be on line for the next 6 or 7 hours today.

Someone lemee know if it works please,

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
OK, I'm giving That AnalogX "Simple Server" a try now that I'm at the
office.

So, "Mike in BC", see if you can download Pro Desktop Express from this
location:

http://169.254.160.200/prodexpress_en.zip

My "server" should be on line for the next 6 or 7 hours today.

Someone lemee know if it works please,

It did not for me (Tue Aug 10 21:59:29 EDT 2004). I can't even
ping it.

Many ISPs actively try to discourage this sort of thing, because
backdoors set up by virii are used as servers for parts of the next
virus, or for URLs for spamed sites.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Larry Jaques

On 10 Aug 2004 22:01:17 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
calmly ranted:

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
OK, I'm giving That AnalogX "Simple Server" a try now that I'm at the
office.

So, "Mike in BC", see if you can download Pro Desktop Express from this
location:

http://169.254.160.200/prodexpress_en.zip

My "server" should be on line for the next 6 or 7 hours today.

Someone lemee know if it works please,

It did not for me (Tue Aug 10 21:59:29 EDT 2004). I can't even
ping it.

Many ISPs actively try to discourage this sort of thing, because
backdoors set up by virii are used as servers for parts of the next
virus, or for URLs for spamed sites.

I woke up way early this morning (3:30am) and found my computer
turned on. I had shut it down about 7pm last evening and it
had turned itself back on, so I held the on switch in for a
minute and it shut down. It evidently restarted in the night,
because I checked it again an hour later and it was OFF. Are
there any virii/backdoor bots which are doing this? NAV reports
"all clear", and it updated itself yesterday morning.

Though I use OE, I turned off the preview panel the day I got
it set up and open strange emails with a programmer's text
editor to check them if they look potentially valid.

Any auto-startup bots out there?

Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects.
----
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications

Tim Auton

Larry Jaques wrote:
[snip]
I woke up way early this morning (3:30am) and found my computer
turned on. I had shut it down about 7pm last evening and it
had turned itself back on, so I held the on switch in for a
minute and it shut down. It evidently restarted in the night,
because I checked it again an hour later and it was OFF. Are
there any virii/backdoor bots which are doing this? NAV reports
"all clear", and it updated itself yesterday morning.

Though I use OE, I turned off the preview panel the day I got
it set up and open strange emails with a programmer's text
editor to check them if they look potentially valid.

Any auto-startup bots out there?

Ways to auto-start a PC I can think of are a BIOS timer, Wake On Lan
(responds to a special network packet) and Wake On Ring (responds when
the modem tells it there is a call). In all the machines I've seen
these are enabled and disabled through the BIOS, so that's where to
check. When the machine is off (or in standby) the OS isn't running,
so I doubt the problem lies there. BIOSes are sufficiently varied that
a bot which attacked them in that way, while not impossible, is
distinctly non-trivial. I've not heard of one.

Tim
--
Google is not the only search engine.
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:26:23 +0100, Tim Auton
tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[snip]
[...]

None of those is enabled. I found one problem is that earlier in the
day, I had set reboot mode to restart mode for some changes I was
making (redownloading/installing MSIE 6), and that was responsible
for the first restart. But I had made sure it was off the second time.
Very strange.

I ran NAV2002 (updated) and found nothing, so I downloaded an
anti-spyware called Spy Cleaner and ran it. It found some cookies
that AdAware had missed. I still have the popups in MSIE from, I
think, the "Better Internet" adware. I removed the cookie, cleaned
the registry, installed IE from a Netscape download from Microsoft,
and still have it. Hmmm... there is no bi.dll on the machine, either.
WTF,O? This is a persistent bastid and neither AdAware, Spy Cleaner,
nor NAV show it on the computer. Grrrrrrr!

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Ted Edwards

Larry Jaques wrote:

None of those is enabled. I found one problem is that earlier in the
day, I had set reboot mode to restart mode for some changes I was
making (redownloading/installing MSIE 6), and that was responsible
for the first restart. But I had made sure it was off the second time.

How sure? Could a short duration power failure have re-started it?

Ted

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:38:32 GMT, Ted Edwards
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:

None of those is enabled. I found one problem is that earlier in the
day, I had set reboot mode to restart mode for some changes I was
making (redownloading/installing MSIE 6), and that was responsible
for the first restart. But I had made sure it was off the second time.

How sure? Could a short duration power failure have re-started it?

It's on a UPS and gets hit all the time, so I don't think so.
Very strange. The Spy prog also caught a copy of Vx2 but I'm
pretty sure it hadn't been opened, just brought in with a
false .scr file from a binary furniture newsgroup. NAV screams
at those immediately. I'm exceedingly skittish after my CC
number was stolen last month. The $1,300 in bogus fees were
reversed the next day by my bank. whew!

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Ted Edwards wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

None of those is enabled. I found one problem is that earlier in the
day, I had set reboot mode to restart mode for some changes I was
making (redownloading/installing MSIE 6), and that was responsible
for the first restart. But I had made sure it was off the second time.

How sure? Could a short duration power failure have re-started it?

I agree that a power glitch could have done it, if it were in
standby mode. They could be set up for emergency shutdown with an UPS
before the battery charge runs out, (and the UPS is shut down after
that). Once power returns, the UPS starts producing power again, and
the machine (depending on the switch) could restart from that.

I make it a practice with my one Windows machine (not to be
confused with the large number of unix machines, which run full time) to
have it plugged into an outlet (surge suppressor) strip, along with the
scanner, the monitor, and the ethernet hub for that room. After the
machine shuts down, I then turn off the outlet strip, so it is all
powered down. And during this time of the year, I also disconnect the
AUI cable from the hub, so a lightning strike is less likely to take out
my networking, as everything else is run from a good UPS with power
isolation, so the networking is less threatened. (Yes, I *have* had
lightning take out the network interface on my previous windows box,
plus the serial port (connected to a weather monitor), and a couple of
network parts at my primary computers.

However -- are there any others in the house who might use the
computer -- perhaps without asking you?

The real test is to unplug it -- both from the power outlet and
from whatever potential net connection you have. If you find it running
a bit later, then it is time to set up hidden cameras to determine who
is turning it on.

Another thought -- some Intel computers are set up for IR
keyboards and mice. Is it possible that a remote control for a TV, VCR,
or something similar might generate a code close enough to a keyboard
code to cause it to turn on? Tape some aluminum foil over the window
for the IR sensor, if you consider this to be possible.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Ted Edwards

Larry Jaques wrote:

at those immediately. I'm exceedingly skittish after my CC
number was stolen last month. The $1,300 in bogus fees were
reversed the next day by my bank. whew!

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Run Windoze --

Ted

Larry Jaques

On 13 Aug 2004 00:32:48 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
calmly ranted:

In article ,
Ted Edwards wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

None of those is enabled. I found one problem is that earlier in the
day, I had set reboot mode to restart mode for some changes I was
making (redownloading/installing MSIE 6), and that was responsible
for the first restart. But I had made sure it was off the second time.

How sure? Could a short duration power failure have re-started it?

I checked it at 5, 15, 30 minutes and 2 hours later. The PS
fan was off and no lights were on.

I agree that a power glitch could have done it, if it were in
standby mode. They could be set up for emergency shutdown with an UPS
before the battery charge runs out, (and the UPS is shut down after
that). Once power returns, the UPS starts producing power again, and
the machine (depending on the switch) could restart from that.

I used the "toe on the power button for 10 seconds" shutdown.
I've never heard the power supply fan going with it in standby
mode, so it appeared to be dead.

I make it a practice with my one Windows machine (not to be
confused with the large number of unix machines, which run full time) to
have it plugged into an outlet (surge suppressor) strip, along with the
scanner, the monitor, and the ethernet hub for that room. After the
machine shuts down, I then turn off the outlet strip, so it is all
powered down. And during this time of the year, I also disconnect the
AUI cable from the hub, so a lightning strike is less likely to take out
my networking, as everything else is run from a good UPS with power
isolation, so the networking is less threatened. (Yes, I *have* had
lightning take out the network interface on my previous windows box,
plus the serial port (connected to a weather monitor), and a couple of
network parts at my primary computers.

We don't get much lightning in the valley here, and I'm on a sat
modem, so it's pretty much isolated as well. The entire system is
on a TrippLite Internet Office UPS, so that isolates, too. The daily
power glitches turn off lights but the computer is rock solid for
about 10 minutes with the UPS. I have unplugged the modem for the
past couple nights just in case it wanted to turn on and call home,
but it remains off when I turn it off now.

However -- are there any others in the house who might use the
computer -- perhaps without asking you?

I'm single and living alone, so unless the ghosts...

The real test is to unplug it -- both from the power outlet and
from whatever potential net connection you have. If you find it running
a bit later, then it is time to set up hidden cameras to determine who
is turning it on.

g Time for the Ghostbusters, eh?

Another thought -- some Intel computers are set up for IR
keyboards and mice. Is it possible that a remote control for a TV, VCR,
or something similar might generate a code close enough to a keyboard
code to cause it to turn on? Tape some aluminum foil over the window
for the IR sensor, if you consider this to be possible.

My laptop has an IR sender and the HP5P has a receiver, but the
computer isn't set up for IR at all. Scratch that one, too.
Thanks for the dialog.

I'll query Starband about the adware sitch. They gave me their
rendition of IE-6, and a download/forced reinstall from MS hasn't
rid me of the "better internet" popups. What a bear!

------------------------------
Gator: The other white meat!
------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Dan Kok

Jeff,

169.254.0.0 - 165.254.255.255 are "Link Local" addresses and are not
globally routable. For a list of all Special Use IPv4 addresses refer
to RFC 3330:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3330.txt?number=3330
In other words, you cannot run a server on a host numbered with one of
these addresses.

I hope this helps.

--
Dan

Jeff Wisnia wrote in message ...
OK, I'm giving That AnalogX "Simple Server" a try now that I'm at the
office.

So, "Mike in BC", see if you can download Pro Desktop Express from this
location:

http://169.254.160.200/prodexpress_en.zip

My "server" should be on line for the next 6 or 7 hours today.

Someone lemee know if it works please,

Jeff

Jeff Wisnia

Dan Kok wrote:
Jeff,

169.254.0.0 - 165.254.255.255 are "Link Local" addresses and are not
globally routable. For a list of all Special Use IPv4 addresses refer
to RFC 3330:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3330.txt?number=3330
In other words, you cannot run a server on a host numbered with one of
these addresses.

I hope this helps.

--
Dan

Thanks Dan..

I'm not sure I want to go through the entire learning process right now
since the need to send very large files doesn't come up in my activities
very often.

I already sent the OP (and another lurker who asked me for one) a copy
of what he wanted burned onto a CD .... by USPS, as we gotta make sure
our hired hands there still have something to do in this internet age.G

Plus, that link to:

http://s11.yousendit.com/

posted on this thread looks like it'd be the 'cat's ass' for sending
large files to someone occassionally.

From what I've found out in the past few daze I think I'd have to learn
more about setting up port forwarding in the Linksys router, all of
which would probably be a 'long run for a short slide' in the instant case.

Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"As long as there are exams in public schools there will be prayer in
public schools."

Ted Edwards

Larry Jaques wrote:

Ted Edwards wrote:

I didn't see a single word there that I wrote. Mind you, since you are
running Windoze, anything can happen.

Ted

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:54:17 GMT, Ted Edwards
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Ted Edwards wrote:

I didn't see a single word there that I wrote. Mind you, since you are
running Windoze, anything can happen.

You missed the blatant "-snip-" entirely, didja?

-
Interpreted Interpolations Done Dirt Cheap.
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Ted Edwards

Larry Jaques wrote:

I didn't see a single word there that I wrote. Mind you, since you are
running Windoze, anything can happen.

You missed the blatant "-snip-" entirely, didja?

I didn't write that either. ;-)

Ted

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:36:15 GMT, Ted Edwards
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I didn't see a single word there that I wrote. Mind you, since you are
running Windoze, anything can happen.

You missed the blatant "-snip-" entirely, didja?

I didn't write that either. ;-)

You's soitenly hahd ta please, Tedward.

Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!
http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design

Ted Edwards

Larry Jaques wrote:

You's soitenly hahd ta please, Tedward.