Larry Jaques

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:30:33 -0700, Larry Jaques
calmly ranted:

On 13 Aug 2004 00:32:48 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
calmly ranted:

In article ,
Ted Edwards wrote:

-snip-
I'll query Starband about the adware sitch. They gave me their
rendition of IE-6, and a download/forced reinstall from MS hasn't
rid me of the "better internet" popups. What a bear!

Well, I finally found the culprit for the adware. It was the
twaintec.dll trojan. I'm going to ask NAV techies for their
explanation of why NAV didn't catch it.

Once in a blue moon, I select several spams to delete and click
the mouse button too fast, opening them. That must be the way it
got on my system in the first place. But why didn't Spy Cleaner,
AdAware6, or NAV ever catch it? Grrrr...

To repair it, I went to Win2k Safe Mode, opened a DOS window,
opened the documents\user\local settings\temp dir and deleted
"twaintec.dll", then deleted the twaintec directory in the same
dir: "THI1931.tmp"

It appears to be gone, and MSIE6 opens only one instance at a
time now. Whew!

--
"I'm sick and tired of having to rearrange my life
because of what the STUPIDEST people *might* do or