Old January 10th 20, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to make iron filings?

Run magnets through sand, by your windowsill(or any place that collects a lot of dust, really)and try your best to remove the filings from the magnet. It ain't easy!

Old January 10th 20, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/10/2020 11:18 AM, wrote:
Run magnets through sand, by your windowsill(or any place that collects a lot of dust, really)and try your best to remove the filings from the magnet. It ain't easy!

Put the magnet inside a heavy plastic bag first. Turn the bag inside
out to remove iron filings.

Old January 13th 20, 03:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 12 Jan 2020 07:17:49
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
"Jim Wilkins" on Fri, 10 Jan 2020 20:18:16
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
on Fri, 10 Jan 2020 10:18:58 -0800 (PST)
typed
Run magnets through sand, by your windowsill(or any place that
collects a lot of dust, really)and try your best to remove the
filings from the magnet. It ain't easy!

That's not how you make them

That is one way to collect iron filing.

To make them, take a block of cheap iron/steel, and a file. Or a
grinder. Or a sander. Or just rub the metal on the concrete.
--
pyotr filipivich
"With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels

Or rub your magic credit card and make a wish to the Amazon genie.

That works too. But where is the sense of craftsmanship, of
having accomplished something? Yeah, sure you have to wait two
whole
days for it to arrive, but. Meh, kids these days ....

tschus
pyotr

I sincerely hope my efforts produce more than chips. You don't feed
animals just for the manure.

True. Unless you're in the cow pie business. (I recall a short
story where alien tourists took a shine to cow pies, and they became
Big Business. Right up until the tourist fashions changed, and the
ones who bought cow pies, no longer came.)

Besides, it does seem sorta magical that I can click on a picture and
the real thing appears at my door.

Yep.

Once again, we're in the conflict between "I need one ASAP" and "I
want to make it myself." I can make a cabinet, or buy one at Amazon /
Walmart."
--
pyotr filipivich
Old January 13th 20, 01:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
"Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 12 Jan 2020 07:17:49
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
. ..
"Jim Wilkins" on Fri, 10 Jan 2020 20:18:16
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
m...
[...]

/
Walmart."
--
pyotr filipivich

I had to make that choice quite often in my career of building
prototypes and custom equipment. Usually it hinged on deadline vs
budget rather than my abilities and wishes. Generally I made only what
I couldn't buy, because it wasn't yet available. I couldn't usually
compete cost-wise with better-equipped manufacturers.

My collection of vintage electronic lab equipment has needed parts I
had to machine fom scratch, a Variac carbon brush assembly and the
oddball coaxial connector on one end of an HP spectrum analyzer
interconnect cable.

Old January 13th 20, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 3:50:47 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 1/10/2020 11:18 AM, wrote:
Run magnets through sand, by your windowsill(or any place that collects a lot of dust, really)and try your best to remove the filings from the magnet. It ain't easy!

Put the magnet inside a heavy plastic bag first. Turn the bag inside
out to remove iron filings.

You can collect iron filings by swishing a (plastic bagged) magnet around in a bowl of Wheaties cereal. Not kidding.