Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to make iron filings?

Run magnets through sand, by your windowsill(or any place that collects a lot of dust, really)and try your best to remove the filings from the magnet. It ain't easy!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 12 Jan 2020 07:17:49
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
"Jim Wilkins" on Fri, 10 Jan 2020 20:18:16
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
on Fri, 10 Jan 2020 10:18:58 -0800 (PST)
typed
Run magnets through sand, by your windowsill(or any place that
collects a lot of dust, really)and try your best to remove the
filings from the magnet. It ain't easy!

That's not how you make them

That is one way to collect iron filing.

To make them, take a block of cheap iron/steel, and a file. Or a
grinder. Or a sander. Or just rub the metal on the concrete.
--
pyotr filipivich
"With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels

Or rub your magic credit card and make a wish to the Amazon genie.

That works too. But where is the sense of craftsmanship, of
having accomplished something? Yeah, sure you have to wait two
whole
days for it to arrive, but. Meh, kids these days ....

tschus
pyotr

I sincerely hope my efforts produce more than chips. You don't feed
animals just for the manure.

True. Unless you're in the cow pie business. (I recall a short
story where alien tourists took a shine to cow pies, and they became
Big Business. Right up until the tourist fashions changed, and the
ones who bought cow pies, no longer came.)

Besides, it does seem sorta magical that I can click on a picture and
the real thing appears at my door.

Yep.

Once again, we're in the conflict between "I need one ASAP" and "I
want to make it myself." I can make a cabinet, or buy one at Amazon /
Walmart."
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
"Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 12 Jan 2020 07:17:49
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
. ..
"Jim Wilkins" on Fri, 10 Jan 2020 20:18:16
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
m...
[...]

/
Walmart."
--
pyotr filipivich

I had to make that choice quite often in my career of building
prototypes and custom equipment. Usually it hinged on deadline vs
budget rather than my abilities and wishes. Generally I made only what
I couldn't buy, because it wasn't yet available. I couldn't usually
compete cost-wise with better-equipped manufacturers.

My collection of vintage electronic lab equipment has needed parts I
had to machine fom scratch, a Variac carbon brush assembly and the
oddball coaxial connector on one end of an HP spectrum analyzer
interconnect cable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Mon, 13 Jan 2020 08:13:54
Once again, we're in the conflict between "I need one ASAP" and "I
want to make it myself." I can make a cabinet, or buy one at Amazon
/ Walmart."

I had to make that choice quite often in my career of building
prototypes and custom equipment. Usually it hinged on deadline vs
budget rather than my abilities and wishes. Generally I made only what
I couldn't buy, because it wasn't yet available. I couldn't usually
compete cost-wise with better-equipped manufacturers.

My collection of vintage electronic lab equipment has needed parts I
had to machine fom scratch, a Variac carbon brush assembly and the
oddball coaxial connector on one end of an HP spectrum analyzer
interconnect cable.

Exactly (as in I understand and agree). My house needs some
repairs. And while I'm at it, might as well do X, Y, Z, A, B, C
....X1, Y1, Z1 too. Many of which are way out of my ability. Add to
that, the only way I can afford to do all that, is to win the lottery,
at which point "it would be simpler to take the screen door off and
put it on a new house." Overhauling this place doesn't pencil out -
for me. If I was thirty years younger, it might. In the mean time
.... lets do what we can with what we have.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 11:10:48 -0600, gray_wolf
wrote:

On 13/01/2020 10:44 am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 3:50:47 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 1/10/2020 11:18 AM, wrote:
Run magnets through sand, by your windowsill(or any place that
collects a lot of dust, really)and try your best to remove the
filings from the magnet. It ain't easy!

Put the magnet inside a heavy plastic bag first. Turn the bag
inside
out to remove iron filings.

You can collect iron filings by swishing a (plastic bagged) magnet
around in a bowl of Wheaties cereal. Not kidding.

Do you suppose they are an added mineral supplement, or from wear in
the packaging machinery?
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Ir...hProfessional/

There are chemical techniques for producing finely divided metal particles. Ask
a chem prof.

Why is everyone missing the obvious - USE A FILE!!!!! Rub it on mild
steel, or a casting, and make PURE iron filings, not mixed with
carborundum or other abrasives or other chemical compounds.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, January 13, 2020 at 12:35:46 PM UTC-5, Clare wrote:

Why is everyone missing the obvious - USE A FILE!!!!! Rub it on mild
steel, or a casting, and make PURE iron filings, not mixed with
carborundum or other abrasives or other chemical compounds.

pyotr had that three days ago, but it's just too obvious for rcm. First, you have to dig an iron mine. then you have to smelt. then you have to make steel for the file. then you have to make the file. then you have to harden it. THEN you can start filing the iron.

Far easier to just buy a box of Wheaties.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On 1/10/2020 11:18 AM, wrote:
Run magnets through sand, by your windowsill(or any place that
collects a lot of dust, really)and try your best to remove the
filings from the magnet. It ain't easy!

Put the magnet inside a heavy plastic bag first. Turn the bag
inside
out to remove iron filings.

You can collect iron filings by swishing a (plastic bagged) magnet
around in a bowl of Wheaties cereal. Not kidding.

Do you suppose they are an added mineral supplement, or from wear
in
the packaging machinery?
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Ir...hProfessional/

There are chemical techniques for producing finely divided metal
particles. Ask a chem prof.

Ask me, I was a chemist before the Army taught me computer
electronics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonyl_iron

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On 1/10/2020 11:18 AM, wrote:
[...]

I needed while to remember "Raney".
This is the simple, low tech, non-toxic method we learned to prepare
finely divided nickel:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raney_nickel

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On 1/10/2020 11:18 AM, wrote:
[...]

Check Adams catalyst. This technique can an used on Palladium and other
noble metals. Iron may need a different tack.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

"rangerssuck" wrote in message

You can collect iron filings by swishing a (plastic bagged) magnet
around in a bowl of Wheaties cereal. Not kidding.

Do you suppose they are an added mineral supplement, or from wear in
the packaging machinery?

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Ir...hProfessional/

Here'a a doc at the American Chemical Society:

https://www.acs.org/content/dam/acso...-breakfast.pdf

I haven't bought any breakast cereal for 40 years but I suppose I'm
going to have to buy some Wheaties (my favorite, tied with Cheerios,
65 years ago) and try that.

There's a tradition dating back to colonial times that women could
maintain health by putting (what was then a wrought iron) nail in a
glass of water each night, drinking the water in the morning.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ron-is-harmful