Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default book mentioning machining

I can vaguely remember reading a book in which one of the characters had a boat with a machine shop on board. And he would travel around Australia doing repairs for farmers. But that is about all I remember. And hope someone can remember the title or the authors name. I want to recommend it to a machinist friend.

I thought it might be " Trustee from the Toolroom " by Nevil Shute but checked it out from the library and reread it. It is a good read, but not the story
I am looking for.

But by all means post the title of all the books you enjoy that mention machining.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

I can vaguely remember reading a book in which one of the characters had a
boat with a machine shop on board. And he would travel around Australia
doing repairs for farmers. But that is about all I remember. And hope
someone can remember the title or the authors name. I want to recommend it
to a machinist friend.

I thought it might be " Trustee from the Toolroom " by Nevil Shute but
checked it out from the library and reread it. It is a good read, but not
the story
I am looking for.

But by all means post the title of all the books you enjoy that mention
machining.

Dan

My favorite murder mystery author is Dick Francis, and his novel High Stakes
features a machinist as the protagonist. He was a champion steeplechase
jockey and always sets his stories around horse racing, where either the
victim or the accused has something to do with racing. Good reads, hard to
put down, worth re-reading every 5-6 years. YMMV, IMHO, etc :-).

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I can vaguely remember reading a book in which one of the characters
had a boat with a machine shop on board. And he would travel around
Australia doing repairs for farmers. But that is about all I
remember. And hope someone can remember the title or the authors
name. I want to recommend it to a machinist friend.

I thought it might be " Trustee from the Toolroom " by Nevil Shute
but checked it out from the library and reread it. It is a good read,
but not the story
I am looking for.

But by all means post the title of all the books you enjoy that
mention machining.

Dan

=========================
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ps-167904.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 20:11:32 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

wrote in message
I can vaguely remember reading a book in which one of the characters
had a boat with a machine shop on board. And he would travel around
Australia doing repairs for farmers. But that is about all I
remember. And hope someone can remember the title or the authors
name. I want to recommend it to a machinist friend.

I thought it might be " Trustee from the Toolroom " by Nevil Shute
but checked it out from the library and reread it. It is a good read,
but not the story
I am looking for.

But by all means post the title of all the books you enjoy that
mention machining.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ps-167904.html

Jim, thanks for that link. I was just going to skim it but ended up
reading the whole page

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 20:11:32 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I watch for what others consider essential (or not) in space-limited
shops.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 08/09/2019 17:50, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 20:11:32 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

This guy used to be based near me and I've been in hisĀ* floating forge
boat which is quite compact https://www.briangreaves.com/about-brian but
it works well and he has all he needs. Now that his kids have left
school he's not constrained to the local area so he and his wife travel
the waterways of the UK. There are some other floating workshops in the
area as well, usually as with Brian a boat to live on and another boat
used as a workshop.