Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hydraulics help please

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 18:50:38 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 06:49:02 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 18:52:25 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message
om...
On Mon, 01 Oct 2018 11:27:46 -0700, wrote:

On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 09:58:49 -0700, "Bob La Londe"

wrote:

Hydraulics are too messy with tiny tractors.

Having done it I disagree, though finding components small enough
fit into the cramped spaces was tricky, and I had to make several
hydraulic parts including the adjustable pressure regulator,
bushings
to adapt the cylinder seals I could find to the pistons and the
oil-tight welded frame / reservoir. The oil strainer housing is a
2"
pipe tee, in the side, out the top, and drain at the bottom.

I guess you like messy.

It ceased being messy after I learned to do things right.

Messy = overly complicated (to me). Whatever works for ya.

Hey, I designed and built my first computer and coded its operating
system and editor/assembler. By comparison making a hydraulic bucket
loader was quick and easy.

Har! I guess so. I remember flipping a sequence of toggle switches
on the (Altair?) computer to load the bootloader from the 14" hard
disc for the old Baird Gamma Camera from the '70s eons ago, so I
vaguely grok your design.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 18:50:38 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Hey, I designed and built my first computer and coded its operating
system and editor/assembler. By comparison making a hydraulic bucket
loader was quick and easy.

Har! I guess so. I remember flipping a sequence of toggle switches
on the (Altair?) computer to load the bootloader from the 14" hard
disc for the old Baird Gamma Camera from the '70s eons ago, so I
vaguely grok your design.

It was functionally similar to an Altair or PDP-8. The company was
very supportive of my effort to learn computer engineering and
programming and gave me the 8080 CPU and some samples of 6116 (2K x 8)
CMOS memory that I kept alive with NiCads so I wouldn't have to enter
the bootstrap loader each time. A Teletype saved programs on paper
tape until I built an FSK modem to store them on a cassette recorder.
The I/O ports were similar to an IBM PC's except the video which was a
monochrome version of the Radio Shack Color Computer's.

I bought an RSP1A at a hamfest last weekend.
https://www.sdrplay.com/
In the 90's at Mitre I built prototypes of software-controlled digital
radios like that but always turned them over to the engineers to play
with.

The free SDRuno program makes it a universal radio receiver for up to
2 GHz, and it can also be a spectrum analyzer over that range. While
it doesn't have the calibrated accuracy, wide scan width or tracking
generator output of my HP spectrum analyzer the signal display is
good, and looks much better on an HDTV.

On my suggestion the seller set up the demo to receive ADS-B data from
nearby aircraft and overlay their locations onto Google Maps as a
virtual radar, which had been a 90's Mitre project. ADS-B is at 1090
MHz, weather satellites are at 137 MHz. The aircraft band is 118-136
MHz. The Grants Pass tower is at 122.8 MHz, Cascade Approach is
124.3, and your weather (wx) is at 120.0. .

I bought a 25-1300 MHz discone antenna for it that I haven't set up
yet, since I spent yesterday helping a neighbor fix his garage roof.
The feed from my 50 foot high TV antenna was good enough to receive an
AM broadcast station at 900 KHz.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 08:57:09 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

[...]

I always wondered why Terry didn't rig something like that, because
hand loading was a PITA.

I bought an RSP1A at a hamfest last weekend.
https://www.sdrplay.com/
In the 90's at Mitre I built prototypes of software-controlled digital
radios like that but always turned them over to the engineers to play
with.

The free SDRuno program makes it a universal radio receiver for up to
2 GHz, and it can also be a spectrum analyzer over that range. While
it doesn't have the calibrated accuracy, wide scan width or tracking
generator output of my HP spectrum analyzer the signal display is
good, and looks much better on an HDTV.

Having a spectrum analyzer sounds fun. Will it show the freq field
with spikes at the currently transmitted freqs? And will it work for
everything broadcasting at the moment, or be tuned only to the radio
receiver you're working? I'm curious as to how it can be used, other
than to tune/verify a radio transmitter freq or such.

On my suggestion the seller set up the demo to receive ADS-B data from
nearby aircraft and overlay their locations onto Google Maps as a
virtual radar, which had been a 90's Mitre project. ADS-B is at 1090
MHz, weather satellites are at 137 MHz. The aircraft band is 118-136
MHz. The Grants Pass tower is at 122.8 MHz, Cascade Approach is
124.3, and your weather (wx) is at 120.0. .

Cool. I'll save that data and check it out on my UV-5R.
I'm going to have to relearn it, I'm afraid.

I bought a 25-1300 MHz discone antenna for it that I haven't set up
yet, since I spent yesterday helping a neighbor fix his garage roof.
The feed from my 50 foot high TV antenna was good enough to receive an
AM broadcast station at 900 KHz.

Have fun! I wonder if the hams will broadcast the fights if the
Leftists kick it off after coming out of the closet as peaceniks.
This November election may drive them into action as they watch
themselves lose more and more seats. Stay safe. Gunner's Great Cull
may take place as a reaction to the Left's total unhingement.
Vote early and take cover after removing political stickers from your
vehicles.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross
the road." --Steven Hawking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Having a spectrum analyzer sounds fun. Will it show the freq field
with spikes at the currently transmitted freqs? And will it work
for
everything broadcasting at the moment, or be tuned only to the radio
receiver you're working? I'm curious as to how it can be used,
other
than to tune/verify a radio transmitter freq or such.

https://www.electronics-notes.com/ar...r-overview.php

They are more useful than oscilloscopes for working with RF, nearly
useless for almost anything else. Actually the instrument I used most
at Mitre was a network analyzer which applies a frequency-swept signal
to the input of a circuit and measures the output.

The RSP1A sweeps over a maximum of 10MHz so one 6 MHz wide HDTV
channel takes up most of the screen. You can place the mouse cursor on
any digit of the frequency display and roll it up or down with the
mouse wheel to move the on-screen frequency band.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

It was functionally similar to an Altair or PDP-8. The company was
very supportive of my effort to learn computer engineering and
programming and gave me the 8080 CPU and some samples of 6116 (2K x
8)
CMOS memory that I kept alive with NiCads so I wouldn't have to
enter
the bootstrap loader each time. ...

I always wondered why Terry didn't rig something like that, because
hand loading was a PITA.

I started with power-hungry 256x4 SRAM. I don't know when the 6116
became available but I got the samples around the time the PC-XT was
introduced. The company built RAM test stations for major
manufacturers and received pre-production samples of new product to
evaluate. IIRC the samples I had were slower than production versions.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Vote early and vote often.

If it works for Democrats..it has to work for Republicans

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---