Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Unk Unk is offline

Default galvanizing old car frame

this car frame need some sections re-constructed due to rust, and enough
other work that everything comes off the frame is an actual frame, has
plastic body

has anyone ever galvanized a car frame - what prep is needed beside basic
oil/dirt/paint removal

it could be electrolytically de-rusted (tank made from large poly sheet
and wood frame on concrete floor), or will the galvanizing process handle
leftover surface rust?

only a few of these car frames made, buying another means basically
buying another car

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 23/08/18 12:25, unk wrote:
this car frame need some sections re-constructed due to rust, and enough
other work that everything comes off the frame is an actual frame, has
plastic body

has anyone ever galvanized a car frame - what prep is needed beside basic
oil/dirt/paint removal

it could be electrolytically de-rusted (tank made from large poly sheet
and wood frame on concrete floor), or will the galvanizing process handle
leftover surface rust?

only a few of these car frames made, buying another means basically
buying another car

Depending on the galvanising plant capability it doesn't need to be
de-rusted just degreased and paint removed. I have a couple of
galvanising plants in the region and the better one acid dips the part
which removes rust and mill scale, then dips in flux, salammoniac IIRC,
then the zinc bath. Extra galvanising can be applied by a heavy sand
blast prior to dipping. If the car frame is closed it may require
drilling to prevent pressure build-up due to the zinc bathÂ* heat and
allow the frame to drain, if an open C channel then likely no
venting/drain required. A mate had a Marcos chassis galvanised and it
went well but the guy that organised the job had taken someÂ* years to
get the venting and dipping perfected for consistent results with the
galvanisers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

unk wrote:
this car frame need some sections re-constructed due to rust, and enough
other work that everything comes off the frame is an actual frame, has
plastic body

has anyone ever galvanized a car frame - what prep is needed beside basic
oil/dirt/paint removal

it could be electrolytically de-rusted (tank made from large poly sheet
and wood frame on concrete floor), or will the galvanizing process handle
leftover surface rust?

only a few of these car frames made, buying another means basically
buying another car

Didn't do it myself but I have seen one done. For cleaning a good
washing with Dawn/water and rinsing to remove oil/grease. Then derusted
in electolytic bath. The hardest part was finding a plant that still did
hot dip and could fit a frame in the tank. Don't forget you need to plug
any threaded holes and be sure the frame is square and unbent.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 6:04:44 PM UTC-4, David Billington wrote:
On 23/08/18 12:25, unk wrote:
[...]

I guess that was one of the later Marcos chassis. (the early ones were made of plywood. g)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 6:07:53 PM UTC-4, Steve W. wrote:
unk wrote:
[...]

Hot dipped is not the only way to go. Do not know how to find some one that does this, but there are people that galvanize some what larger thing such as bridges. they use a machine which feeds two zinc electrodes with essentially two MIG power supplies vaporizing the wires and depositing the zinc or the piece being galvanized.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 23/08/18 12:25, unk wrote:
[...]

Yes, my understanding is they switched to the steel chassis when there
was a supply issue with the high quality marine plywood previously used
for the wooden chassis. I knew a racing driver who recounted a tale of
being in a wooden chassis Marcos IIRC when the flywheel came off the
engine and started sawing through the ply, no damage done to him
fortunately.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 23/08/18 12:25, unk wrote:
[...]

Hmm. Wow, that could really shorten your legs. g I've read also that making the wooden chassis was very labor-intensive.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

unk wrote:
[...]

Anybody that does boat trailers can do your frame. Lots of "hot
dipped" trailers. Also stock tanks

Check the AGA site for a list of their members - it can be found at
https://galvanizeit.org/about-aga/galvanizer-locations

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On 23/08/18 12:25, unk wrote:
I guess that was one of the later Marcos chassis. (the early ones
were made of plywood. g)

--
Ed Huntress

Yes, my understanding is they switched to the steel chassis when
there
was a supply issue with the high quality marine plywood previously
used
for the wooden chassis. I knew a racing driver who recounted a tale
of
being in a wooden chassis Marcos IIRC when the flywheel came off the
engine and started sawing through the ply, no damage done to him
fortunately.

Hmm. Wow, that could really shorten your legs. g I've read also that
making the wooden chassis was very labor-intensive.

As I understand it the plane production for the wooden planes was easier
to get going due to the number of wood working/cabinet maker type
companies that could easily do the work, metal aircraft being more of a
problem. A mate restores English Rose and Paul kitchens which were an
upshot of companies after the war looking for something they could make
with their metal working knowledge after the demand for aircraft dried
up. I live in the area of the UK where Marcos cars were built and still
plenty of people around that had a hand in their building as it was a
bit of a cottage industry.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 8:19:59 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
In that Wiki quote the period followed the quotation mark. Is that
becoming general practice?
-jsw

It's British practice, standard in most of the English-speaking
world. In American English, periods go inside of quotation marks
almost without exception. The exception is certain cases of titles
and labels.

In British English, they can go inside or outside, depending on he
logic of the situation. If you're interested, you should look it up.
I tend to get it backwards. g

The American style is the result of a typesetting quirk. The British
style is the result of some logical decisions made around 1900.

Take a look at the British magazine _The Economist_. You'll find
examples of inside and outside.

--
Ed Huntress

I like that the Internet allows us to create new and modify old
aspects of language that have outlived their usefulness, like
indenting the start of paragraphs, but I want to understand the
reasons behind them.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 12:45:40 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

If it didn't impinge on my work, I don't know how interested I would be in it. But I do find it interesting. When I was editing medical texts, it was vital. No mistakes are tolerated -- period.

Quite a few matters of type and punctuation are just artifacts of a decision made by some typesetter in the 17th, 18th, or 19th centuries. The inside period was just intended to reduce the likelihood that the tiny projection that makes a period would be less likely to be broken off in handling, since it was more protected inside of a quotation mark. And typesetters were often the ones who decided when two words (work, place) would be compounded into one (workplace).

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 12:45:40 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

If it didn't impinge on my work, I don't know how interested I would
be in it. But I do find it interesting. When I was editing medical
texts, it was vital. No mistakes are tolerated -- period.

We were supposed to be able to write flawlessly (though not
necessarily with good style) for chemical journals, too. It's very
important to spell chemical names correctly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._unusual_names