Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Galvanizing & Gophers

Hi,
All you metal experts. I am wondering about how long hardware cloth
will last in the ground after I give it HCL acid bath to remove the
galvanizing. I've also read that the metal will rust if not cleaned
properly. I'm hoping for a year, maybe a little more, but not much
more.

I am planting a bunch of trees in on my gopher infested property.
Gophers will eat the roots of young plants and kill them - especially
the root ball at the base of the tree. All the tree experts say that
hardware cloth is the answer; make a basket and put the plant in that
so that the tree can establish itself before the gophers can get to the
root ball. I can't seem to buy ungalvanized hardware cloth, so I'm
wondering if I wipe the hardware cloth with hcl acid, give it a light
rinse, and then plant it, if it will last a year and not too much more?

Thanks in advance for your help
Pachydermitis

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Poisons, traps, and other extreme methods. Cut down the population of
them there pesky rodents. A good dog will help too, we had a groundhog
problem and then our dogs got in on the act. Larger holes to fill until
the groundhogs were gone, but we haven't had a groundhog in the yard
for many years now, I think the word got out. LOL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Wed, 10 May 2006 16:35:59 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On 10 May 2006 13:21:57 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I don't think a wipe would do it, but immersion in a bucket surely
would -- and you can dilute the acid quite a bit with water. When
the hardware cloth stops bubbling, the zinc is gone -- unless the acid
is completely spent, which isn't likely. It only takes a few
minutes.

How long it will then last depends a lot on your soil chemistry. A
year or two seems like a reasonable estimate.

Like Don says about the removal. I have had the best luck when
cleaning steel with HCL if I dip the parts in a baking soda solution
after the acid dip. In my experience it took lots of water to make
sure all the acid was gone. But a quick rinse and then a dunk in the
baking soda solution followed by another quick rinse seems to keep the
steel from rusting so damn fast.
ERS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 11 May 2006 02:24:26 GMT, RoyJ wrote:
He wants the metal to stop the gophers when the tree is young but
disintigrate before the tree gets bound up by the metal.

I've always had more success, metal-wise, using lead with gophers.
About an ounce and an eighth, delivered with velocity. Makes 'em do
backflips.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 May 2006 02:24:26 GMT, RoyJ wrote:
He wants the metal to stop the gophers when the tree is young but
disintigrate before the tree gets bound up by the metal.

I've always had more success, metal-wise, using lead with gophers.
About an ounce and an eighth, delivered with velocity. Makes 'em do
backflips.

I agree with the Pb position. However I prefer smaller doses with much more
velocity. 40 grains @ 4000 fps makes them explode. If your in a city or are
noise sensitive then about 18 grains @ 825 fps just tips 'em over.
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 11 May 2006 14:35:22 GMT, Tom Wait wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

I've always had more success, metal-wise, using lead with gophers.
About an ounce and an eighth, delivered with velocity. Makes 'em do
backflips.

I agree with the Pb position. However I prefer smaller doses with much more
velocity. 40 grains @ 4000 fps makes them explode.

Well, it's about energy of course, but also about cleanup. I prefer to
have something I can pick up and throw out in the field, rather than a
bloody smudge on the lawn. Also, I've only got 30 acres, and with the
scattergun, I *know* that my shot won't go beyond my property.

If your in a city or are
noise sensitive then about 18 grains @ 825 fps just tips 'em over.

I tried with the .410 rather than the 12ga, it works but it's a single
shot rather than a pump. So when there's several, I don't have time to
reload before they scatter.

Couple years ago they got out of hand. I tried the "let's not shoot 'em
all as soon as they show up and see what happens" approach. I won't be
doing that again.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

[...]

Well if you get another crop of the little *******s, give me a call. I'm not
fur from ya. I'll bring the Silver Streak, an 870 12ga. and a couple of
beverages and we'll wipe em out. I've been punchin' paper too long. BTW
there's nothing to pickup after the 22-250 hits 'em. Just red mist.
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 11 May 2006 15:59:48 GMT, Tom Wait wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

I tried with the .410 rather than the 12ga, it works but it's a single
shot rather than a pump. So when there's several, I don't have time to
reload before they scatter.

Well if you get another crop of the little *******s, give me a call. I'm not
fur from ya. I'll bring the Silver Streak, an 870 12ga. and a couple of
beverages and we'll wipe em out. I've been punchin' paper too long. BTW
there's nothing to pickup after the 22-250 hits 'em. Just red mist.

I do love that Sheridan. Hey - I found 2 original owners manuals for
them, want one?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

I tried with the .410 rather than the 12ga, it works but it's a single
shot rather than a pump. So when there's several, I don't have time to
reload before they scatter.

Well if you get another crop of the little *******s, give me a call. I'm

not
fur from ya. I'll bring the Silver Streak, an 870 12ga. and a couple of
beverages and we'll wipe em out. I've been punchin' paper too long. BTW
there's nothing to pickup after the 22-250 hits 'em. Just red mist.

I do love that Sheridan. Hey - I found 2 original owners manuals for
them, want one?

Do I want one? Does a Milwaukeean guzzle beer? Your darn tootin'. Send it
here.
--
Tom Wait
Barton Rifle Shop

What do need for it?
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 11 May 2006 19:42:48 GMT, Tom Wait wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

I do love that Sheridan. Hey - I found 2 original owners manuals for
them, want one?

Do I want one? Does a Milwaukeean guzzle beer? Your darn tootin'. Send it
here.

I'm going to the post office tomorrow. If you've got a 5/8" R8 collett
to trade, that'd be great, otherwise we'll just let it go at "here you
go, enjoy".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Thu, 11 May 2006 02:24:26 GMT, RoyJ wrote:
He wants the metal to stop the gophers when the tree is young but
disintigrate before the tree gets bound up by the metal.

I've always had more success, metal-wise, using lead with gophers.
About an ounce and an eighth, delivered with velocity. Makes 'em do
backflips.

I was going to mention something about that too, but I didn't want to
offend anybody. But that's my solution to alot of stray nuisance type
critters, shoot first and ask questions later.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

I do love that Sheridan. Hey - I found 2 original owners manuals for
them, want one?

Do I want one? Does a Milwaukeean guzzle beer? Your darn tootin'. Send

it
here.

I'm going to the post office tomorrow. If you've got a 5/8" R8 collett
to trade, that'd be great, otherwise we'll just let it go at "here you
go, enjoy".

I don't have an R-8 anything here. My Hard-Port mill has 5C and B&S 7
collets. I'll think of something.
Many thanks to you.
Tom