Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default WD-40

You know WD-40 has been used for dozens if not hundreds of off label
uses. From lubing a squeaky hinge or cutting aluminum on the mill to
being spray as a fish attractant and even used topically as an arthritis
pain treatment. Well, as I've learned over the years to use the right
product for the right job my supply of WD-40 has dwindled. Its been
years since I ran out. Well today I actually needed some for its
intended purpose. To displace water on some machinery I just cleaned by
taking it out side and blasting the chips off of with a hose nozzle. For
once its the right product for the job and I don't have any. LOL.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 15:31:02 -0700
Bob La Londe wrote:

You know WD-40 has been used for dozens if not hundreds of off label
uses. From lubing a squeaky hinge or cutting aluminum on the mill to
being spray as a fish attractant and even used topically as an arthritis
pain treatment. Well, as I've learned over the years to use the right
product for the right job my supply of WD-40 has dwindled. Its been
years since I ran out. Well today I actually needed some for its
intended purpose. To displace water on some machinery I just cleaned by
taking it out side and blasting the chips off of with a hose nozzle. For
once its the right product for the job and I don't have any. LOL.

I started buying the gallon cans and their branded pump/squirt bottles.
Watch for good deals/sales when the can starts getting low. Think I have
three squirters setting around in strategic places. Mostly used as a
rust preventive after handling/using tools. Big help with high humidity
days of late. Doesn't work well as a long term rust preventative
though...

Works pretty well for getting sticky/gooey gunk off your hands too

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

WD has ZERO rust inhibitors in it. Its marginally ok as a solvent and
a very short term low load lubricant for small moving parts. Thats
ALL it has going for it.. that and the fact its Stodard Solvent makes
it take the oil/stuff off your hands

Oh..it also has DMSO so its not bad for joint pain.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stops mosquito bite itch, too.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 8:31:44 AM UTC-4, wws wrote:
Stops mosquito bite itch, too.

I've used it to start my neighbor's balky lawnmower when I ran out of ether. I couldn't believe it worked.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote on 7/16/2018 12:11 PM:
wrote on 7/16/2018 10:07 AM:
On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 8:31:44 AM UTC-4, wws wrote:
Stops mosquito bite itch, too.
I've used it to start my neighbor's balky lawnmower when I ran out of ether. I couldn't believe it worked.

It wasn't a hidden secret. It was known since the beginning of time.

By whom? The Stoddard solvent is less volatile than gasoline, and harder to ignite, but the spray gives you some pre-mixing. That was the hope I had when I tried it. It seemed to work.

Not bad. It's almost like saying you recently "discovered" you can put
ketchup on a hotdog to make it taste better.

More relevant to your point, even diesel/kerosene is easy to ignite if
you spray it into a fine mist.

Many people carry a can of WD-40 in the truck, but not a can of
gasoline, diesel, or kerosene. That's why they use WD-40.

If you don't know yet, you can spray WD-40 onto the distributor cap to
dry your high-tension ignition wires if you have a hard time starting
your car after driving on wet roads.

I've heard that.

The "WD" in WD-40 stands "Water Displacement".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#History

According to Iris Engstrand
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_Engstrand, a historian of San Diego
and California history at the University of San Diego, Iver Norman
Lawson
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Iver_Norman_Lawson&action=edit&red link=1
invented the formula,^[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#cite_note-Engstrand2014-3 while
the WD-40 company website and other books and newspapers credit Norman
Larsen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Larsen.^[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#cite_note-4 ^[5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#cite_note-Mercer2011-5 ^[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#cite_note-BarryObit-2 "WD-40" is
abbreviated from the term "Water Displacement, 40th formula", suggesting
it was the result of the 40th attempt to create the product.^[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#cite_note-latimes-1 The spray,
composed of various hydrocarbons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocarbon, was originally designed to
be used by Convair https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair to protect
the outer skin of the Atlas missile
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM-65_Atlas from rust and corrosion.^[6]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#cite_note-aboutus-6 ^[7]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#cite_note-barrynytobit-7 This
outer skin also functioned as the outer wall of the missile's paper-thin
fuel balloon tanks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balloon_tank, which
were so fragile that, when empty, they had to be kept inflated with
nitrogen to prevent them from collapsing. WD-40 was later found to have
many household uses^[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#cite_note-latimes-1 and was made
available to consumers in San Diego in 1958.^[6]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#cite_note-aboutus-6

In Engstrand's account, it was Iver Norman Lawson who came up with the
water-displacing mixture after working at home, and turned it over to
the Rocket Chemical Company for the sum of $500, which today (2018) is
about $4,600. It was Norman Larsen, president of the company, who had
the idea of packaging it in aerosol cans and marketed it in this
way.^[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#cite_note-Engstrand2014-3

It was written up as a new consumer product in 1961.^[8]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#cite_note-8 By 1965 it was being
used by airlines including Delta and United; United, for example, was
using it on fixed and movable joints of their DC-8 and Boeing 720s in
maintenance and overhaul.^[9]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#cite_note-AEAT1965-9 At that time,
airlines were using a variant called WD-60 to clean turbines, removing
light rust from control lines, and when handling or storing metal
parts.^[9] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#cite_note-AEAT1965-9 By
1969 WD-40 was being marketed to farmers and mechanics in England.^[10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#cite_note-10

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

To displace water on some machinery I just cleaned by
taking it out side and blasting the chips off of with a hose nozzle. For
once its the right product for the job and I don't have any. LOL.

LPS1 is a FAR better water displacer than wd-40. Back in the early
years after Earth's creation when I was racing motocross
professionally, I also worked in a bike shop. We sold LPS products.

We'd set up a demo where we'd take a small bike with a points-type
magneto, hose down the points and coils with LPS1, crank the bike and
then flood the magneto with a garden hose. The engine would not miss
a beat.

LPS1 is kinda hard to find but Amazon probably has it.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 11:38:24 -0400, pOmqt?? ? ?????? ??????? ? ??wMlUf
wrote:

wrote on 7/16/2018 10:07 AM:
On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 8:31:44 AM UTC-4, wws wrote:
Stops mosquito bite itch, too.

I've used it to start my neighbor's balky lawnmower when I ran out of ether. I couldn't believe it worked.

It wasn't a hidden secret. It was known since the beginning of time.

If you don't know yet, you can spray WD-40 onto the distributor cap to
dry your high-tension ignition wires if you have a hard time starting
your car after driving on wet roads.

And if you spray it UNDER the cap, or inside the cap and don't let it
air oput a bit before replacing the cap, it will blow the cap right
off (often in pieces)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

wrote on 7/16/2018 10:07 AM:
On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 8:31:44 AM UTC-4, wws wrote:
Stops mosquito bite itch, too.
I've used it to start my neighbor's balky lawnmower when I ran out of ether. I couldn't believe it worked.

It wasn't a hidden secret. It was known since the beginning of time.

If you don't know yet, you can spray WD-40 onto the distributor cap to
dry your high-tension ignition wires if you have a hard time starting
your car after driving on wet roads.

And if you spray it UNDER the cap, or inside the cap and don't let it
air oput a bit before replacing the cap, it will blow the cap right
off (often in pieces)

Don't you wish to use "DAMHIKT", clare?

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

wrote on 7/16/2018 10:07 AM:
On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 8:31:44 AM UTC-4, wws wrote:
Stops mosquito bite itch, too.
I've used it to start my neighbor's balky lawnmower when I ran out of ether. I couldn't believe it worked.

It wasn't a hidden secret. It was known since the beginning of time.

If you don't know yet, you can spray WD-40 onto the distributor cap to
dry your high-tension ignition wires if you have a hard time starting
your car after driving on wet roads.

And if you spray it UNDER the cap, or inside the cap and don't let it
air oput a bit before replacing the cap, it will blow the cap right
off (often in pieces)

Don't you wish to use "DAMHIKT", clare?

Yup - I'll admit to learning that "the easy way" when I was an
apprentice at 16 years of age. Had a wet cap on a 327 Sprayed WD40
into the little slide-up window - let it sit for a few minutes, then
cranked it over. Not sure I'de have been able to find the parts of the
cap if it weren't for the coil wires - - - .

Doing something stupid first hand IS the easy way to learn - you never
forget - - - -
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 12:37:09 -0400
Clare Snyder wrote:

huge snip
Doing something stupid first hand IS the easy way to learn - you never
forget - - - -

I use to work with guys that would do stuff like that again, sometimes
a week or maybe a month later

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 12:41:42 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 12:37:09 -0400
Clare Snyder wrote:

huge snip
Doing something stupid first hand IS the easy way to learn - you never
forget - - - -

I use to work with guys that would do stuff like that again, sometimes
a week or maybe a month later

Can't fix stupid. Some are too dumb to associate cause with effect
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

wrote on 7/16/2018 10:07 AM:
[...]

I guess that's true for some things, but...