Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Craftsman Pop Rivet gun?`

On Tuesday, March 13, 2012 at 10:04:55 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
Lawrence Glickman wrote:

Pop rivets are The Bomb.

Why hydraulic? I've used manual models and pneumatic, but hydraulic seems
like overkill for any pop rivet I've run into. Even with rivnuts, I've only
used manual tools. I've used Greenlee hydraulic tools for chassis punches,
but pulling a 3 1/4" punch through a panel is a little more work.

I have some stainless pop rivets I bought for some reason. They are a bit bigger than the usual 1/8 inch aluminium rivets. They might be 3/16th dia. I do not have a hydraulic puller, and managed to use the stainless pop rivets anyway. But a hydraulic puller would be nice if one was using very many.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lawrence Glickman wrote:

Pop rivets are The Bomb.

Why hydraulic? I've used manual models and pneumatic, but hydraulic seems
like overkill for any pop rivet I've run into. Even with rivnuts, I've only
used manual tools. I've used Greenlee hydraulic tools for chassis punches,
but pulling a 3 1/4" punch through a panel is a little more work.

I have some stainless pop rivets I bought for some reason. They are a bit bigger than the usual 1/8 inch aluminium rivets. They might be 3/16th dia. I do not have a hydraulic puller, and managed to use the stainless pop rivets anyway. But a hydraulic puller would be nice if one was using very many.

Dan

The air and hydraulic tools for pop rivits are cheap enough and will
really...really save wear and tear on your arms, shoulders and hands.

I have a Neiko...but didnt pay anywhere near this price.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Pneumat...AOSw8A1aZef a

A standard hand riveter for 1/4" rivets (and the smaller ones as well)
"Klic Fast"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marson-Rive...0AAOSwOvhaucZ2

https://www.ebay.com/p/Marson-Fasten...d=132576888860

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pop-Rivet-G....c100505.m3226

This is the big one that Harbor Freight also sells. Works well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-...AOSwsEpakMp y

Ive also got at least 4 more of the standard Pop Rivet tools..most are
good 1/8"-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rivet-Gun-b...AOSwuAVWxLp P

Etc etc.

When used properly..and for the right sorts of work...invaluable. When
used on the wrong sorts of work...dangerous and unreliable

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lawrence Glickman wrote:

[...]

software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus

I've used a bunch of different ones over the years. Back in the past a
lot of snowmobiles and tracks were put together with them. Air/Hydro
made it so much easier to pull those 3/16" stainless rivets... Or get
muscle cramps using a manual gun..

I have one of the HF units, Seems to work as well as a few others I've
used. But it's collecting dust at the moment.

--
Steve W.