Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default No wonder

On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 14:31:13 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 09:33:56 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 22:23:16 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 18:57:38 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 9:45:57 PM UTC-4, Clare wrote:
On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 19:52:49 -0400, Gerry
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 17:07:56 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Fri, 23 Mar 2018 08:40:45 -0700, wrote:

I have a Case 580 CK backhoe with the gas engine. I have been unable
to get the carb adjusted correctly. The carb is really simple,
especially considering the machine is 1970s vintage, only two
adjustments. So working on the throttle linkage the other day I
reached behind the carb to grab the linkage and discovered that the
butterfly shaft moves back and forth about .125"! No wonder I can't
adjust the carb. The other end of the buttery shaft does not have the
same motion, it fits the hole in the carb body properly. A new carb
costs anywhere from about $200.00 to about $400.00 so I will be taking
the carb off and effecting repairs. At the very least bushing up the
carb body. But if the butterfly shaft is also very worn it will get
bushed too. I'm thinking that it would be best, as long as the carb is
off, to bush both holes in the carb body with some sort of bearing
bronze I have on the stock rack. Then the carb will be fine for the
rest of my life.
Eric
Good idea - if you put in 2 bushings you can ream them to fit the
shaft. Just be DAMNED sure you properly stake the little prass screws
that hold the butterfly to the shaft when you reassemle it.

I'd have never believed a brass screw could go through a cyl wall if I
hadn't seen it with my own 2 eyes (1968 292 Chevy six cyl).

And it was ME who was blamed for leaving the screw loose - - - -
I insisted that a former employee notdrive his car until he retieved
the air cleaner wing nut he dropped into and through the carb.

SMART - but that's when you know something is missing and out of
place. This screw found it's way out of the carb and through the cyl
wall about 600 miles from home with a load of farm wagons behind - - -
If something goes missing while an air intake is open, NOTHING turns
over before the part is either found or the intake has been THOROUGHLY
checked to be CERTAIN the missing part is not hiding there just
waiting to do it's thing.

That said, who'd EVER think a 4 stroke deisel could put a set of 3XL
cotton coveralls through the intake and out the exhaust without
slowing down?????? Likely a good thing the coveralls had a zipper
instead of a row of metal buttons!!! Goot thing there was a chunk of
2X6 within reach - - - -.

I imagine the turbocharger had something to do with getting it down to
size to go through the valves.

was the 2x6 to choke off the intake or to beat in the head of the guy who left the coveralls in the wrong place?

To choke off the air after the coveralls failed dismally.

Were fuel shutoff valves installed on all vehicles after that
happened, I hope?

Wouldn't do any good - it was running on engine oil. The fuel pump
was totally shut down. No diesel fuel was getting to the injectors -
it was just sucking engine oil through the turbo.

They can go runaway on engine oil? Amazing. What's the cetane rating
of engine oil?

As for "on all vehicles" this was in a service shop that sewrviced the
company's rental fleet of kloaders, dozers, backhoes, skid stears etc,
as well as customer machines. IIRC this one was a trade-in or a
machine the company had purchased used, to recondition and either rent
out or sell.

That makes it harder.

We did a LOT of that - buying equipment that had been through a fire
or a flood, or just left sitting unused for too long, anf tearing it
down and completely rebuilding it.

That can be quite profitable.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

No idea, but when the engine is warmed up a diesel will run on just
about anything. Not necessarily WELL - but well enough to destroy
itself!!

As for "on all vehicles" this was in a service shop that sewrviced the
company's rental fleet of kloaders, dozers, backhoes, skid stears etc,
as well as customer machines. IIRC this one was a trade-in or a
machine the company had purchased used, to recondition and either rent
out or sell.

That makes it harder.

We did a LOT of that - buying equipment that had been through a fire
or a flood, or just left sitting unused for too long, anf tearing it
down and completely rebuilding it.

That can be quite profitable.

VERY profitable when you buy for scrap price and buy all parts at
dealer cost and do all the reconditioning in-house.