Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Non-Standard 3C Collet

Other than making one is there any way to get a 3C collet in 5/8? I
know I could have one custom made, but that's silly. It wuld be handy
for a repetive job I am working on to do the heavy operations on the big
lathe and some lighter operations on the smaller lathe. The problem is
I have it setup with 3C collets and a closer and I absolutely hate
bolting on and unbolting a chuck on the small lathe or the mini lathe.
Its just a big pain.

Anyway, Is there any chance 5/8 is one of those out of spec sizes that
just happens to exist anyway. Like 7/16 for ER16 or 5/16 for ERll.
They are outside the spec, but they are commonly enough made that you
can hunt around and buy them for about the same size as spec size
collets. There is a enough meat on a 3C for it. It wouldn't go all the
way through, but my 1/2 inch 3C collets don't go all the way through
either.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/18/2018 5:19 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Some of the typos fixed. LOL

Other than making one is there any way to get a 3C collet in 5/8? I
know I could have one custom made, but that's silly. It would be handy
for a repetitive job I am working on to do the heavy operations on the
big lathe and some lighter operations on the smaller lathe. The problem
is I have it setup with 3C collets and a closer and I absolutely hate
bolting on and unbolting a chuck on the small lathe or the mini lathe.
Its just a big pain.

Anyway, Is there any chance 5/8 is one of those out of spec sizes that
just happens to exist anyway. Like 7/16 for ER16 or 5/16 for ER11. They
are outside the spec, but they are commonly enough made that you can
hunt around and buy them for about the same price as spec size collets.
There is a enough meat on a 3C for it. It wouldn't go all the way
through, but my 1/2 inch 3C collets don't go all the way through either.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/18/2018 5:29 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 1/18/2018 5:19 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Other than making one is there any way to get a 3C collet in 5/8?Â* I
know I could have one custom made, but that's silly.Â* It wuld be handy
for a repetive job I am working on to do the heavy operations on the big
lathe and some lighter operations on the smaller lathe.Â* The problem is
I have it setup with 3C collets and a closer and I absolutely hate
bolting on and unbolting a chuck on the small lathe or the mini lathe.
Its just a big pain.

Anyway, Is there any chance 5/8 is one of those out of spec sizes that
just happens to exist anyway.Â* Like 7/16 for ER16 or 5/16 for ERll. They
are outside the spec, but they are commonly enough made that you can
hunt around and buy them for about the same size as spec size collets.
There is a enough meat on a 3C for it.Â* It wouldn't go all the way
through, but my 1/2 inch 3C collets don't go all the way through either.

Some of the typos fixed.Â*Â* LOL

Other than making one is there any way to get a 3C collet in 5/8?Â* I
know I could have one custom made, but that's silly.Â* It would be handy
for a repetitive job I am working on to do the heavy operations on the
big lathe and some lighter operations on the smaller lathe.Â* The problem
is I have it setup with 3C collets and a closer and I absolutely hate
bolting on and unbolting a chuck on the small lathe or the mini lathe.
Its just a big pain.

Anyway, Is there any chance 5/8 is one of those out of spec sizes that
just happens to exist anyway.Â* Like 7/16 for ER16 or 5/16 for ER11. They
are outside the spec, but they are commonly enough made that you can
hunt around and buy them for about the same price as spec size collets.
There is a enough meat on a 3C for it.Â* It wouldn't go all the way
through, but my 1/2 inch 3C collets don't go all the way through either.

YOUCH!!! I found one.
https://www.amazon.com/Hardinge-Roun.../dp/B007FVVEXE
The price is... what it is.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
[...]

ER11. They are outside the spec, but they are commonly enough made
that you can hunt around and buy them for about the same price as
spec size collets. There is a enough meat on a 3C for it. It
wouldn't go all the way through, but my 1/2 inch 3C collets don't
go all the way through either.

YOUCH!!! I found one.
https://www.amazon.com/Hardinge-Roun.../dp/B007FVVEXE
The price is... what it is.

https://www.amazon.com/TTC-3C-STEEL-.../dp/B006UHAVDS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19/01/18 11:36, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

That looks like a good option but be warned you may have to change the
pins. I've bought a number of 5C emergency collets and all had oversize
pins, IIRC 3.5mm in 1/8" holes. Maybe they couldn't source the correct
size where they were made so they substituted something close.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/19/2018 4:36 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

That looks like a good option. I just might buy a couple of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/19/2018 6:16 AM, David Billington wrote:
On 19/01/18 11:36, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
On 1/18/2018 5:29 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 1/18/2018 5:19 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Â* Other than making one is there any way to get a 3C collet in
5/8? I
Â* know I could have one custom made, but that's silly. It wuld be
handy
Â* for a repetive job I am working on to do the heavy operations on
the big
Â* lathe and some lighter operations on the smaller lathe. The
problem is
Â* I have it setup with 3C collets and a closer and I absolutely
hate
Â* bolting on and unbolting a chuck on the small lathe or the mini
lathe.
Â* Its just a big pain.
Â*
Â* Anyway, Is there any chance 5/8 is one of those out of spec
sizes that
Â* just happens to exist anyway. Like 7/16 for ER16 or 5/16 for
ERll. They
Â* are outside the spec, but they are commonly enough made that you
can
Â* hunt around and buy them for about the same size as spec size
collets.
Â* There is a enough meat on a 3C for it. It wouldn't go all the
way
Â* through, but my 1/2 inch 3C collets don't go all the way through
either.
Â*

Some of the typos fixed. LOL

Other than making one is there any way to get a 3C collet in 5/8? I
know I could have one custom made, but that's silly. It would be
handy for a repetitive job I am working on to do the heavy
operations on the big lathe and some lighter operations on the
smaller lathe. The problem is I have it setup with 3C collets and a
closer and I absolutely hate bolting on and unbolting a chuck on
the small lathe or the mini lathe. Its just a big pain.

Anyway, Is there any chance 5/8 is one of those out of spec sizes
that just happens to exist anyway. Like 7/16 for ER16 or 5/16 for
ER11. They are outside the spec, but they are commonly enough made
that you can hunt around and buy them for about the same price as
spec size collets. There is a enough meat on a 3C for it. It
wouldn't go all the way through, but my 1/2 inch 3C collets don't
go all the way through either.
YOUCH!!!Â* I found one.
https://www.amazon.com/Hardinge-Roun.../dp/B007FVVEXE

The price is... what it is.

https://www.amazon.com/TTC-3C-STEEL-.../dp/B006UHAVDS

That looks like a good option but be warned you may have to change the
pins. I've bought a number of 5C emergency collets and all had oversize
pins, IIRC 3.5mm in 1/8" holes. Maybe they couldn't source the correct
size where they were made so they substituted something close.

That's a good tip. If I get some I'll see how it seats up compared to a
collet with a precision pin in it.