Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting WWII Manufacturing Video

Chrysler was given task of taking the hand-fit 40mm Bofors
anti-aircraft gun and mass producing it for WWII. They gave each
division a main part and used over 1,000 sub-contractors for the small
parts. Drawings were translated from Swedish so the shopmen could
read them. I imagine the entire process took months so our ships could
be better protected for the war. One aircraft carrier shot down 32
Japanese planes in under half an hour with these things. Thinking
back to my yout, I called these "pom-pom guns".
http://tinyurl.com/y9o6m25b

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton