Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The Solar Energy Fraud

On 08/17/2017 01:05 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 8/17/2017 6:59 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/17/2017 05:07 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"rbowman" wrote in message
On 08/16/2017 07:58 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Yes, do-it-yourself solar makes you the project manager, engineer,
technician, operator and purchasing agent, which is fine if you
understand it all and have the time and motivation.

I have a very small (1 panel) solar setup in Arizona. It was an used
ARCO panel, a car battery, and I built the shunt controller from
Radio Shack parts. I still figured in was very expensive per KWH but
the nearest grid power was a mile away.

It worked well although in December if it was overcast I had to
decide if I wanted to listen to the radio or run the computer.

I'd count the expense as the cost of education. You will be ready if
used electric vehicle batteries become cheap enough to make solar
electricity practical.

There is a big solar farm just south of Ajo, AZ. I wonder if they'd
miss a few panels I gauge the lack of interest in solar by the
number of panels powering billboards, outhouses, meteorological
stations, radar warning signs and so forth that don't grow legs and
walk off. If you're going to try to steal high tension cables for the
scrap copper why not go after the low hanging fruit?

Perhaps, or perhaps people who care enough about puttering with solar
energy are more peaceful, law abiding critters than the lowlifes who
think stealing copper for a living is acceptable, that the mindsets of
the two groups tend to be mutually exclusive?

Those copper breakers are OK. Any steel and chrome or platinum coatings are good.