Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chinese Repair Parts

The starter on my Ford Ranger pickup died. I looked on the internet and found a wide range of replacements. The prices ranged from $38 to about $150.. The truck is old and will be replaced soon, so I ordered the cheapest. There were two places that had that price. One was in Calif. and from what I could tell tell the other was in Eastern Tenn. Surprise the place in Tenn. was a vendor thru Walmart. Since I am on East Coast, I ordered from Walmart. Another surprise, the tracking started for place in Mass. And the final surprise....
It was brand new manufactured in China.

It arrived late today and I put it on after dinner. It works fine. At that price I was expecting a rebuilt starter.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
The starter on my Ford Ranger pickup died. I looked on the internet
and found a wide range of replacements. The prices ranged from $38 to
about $150. The truck is old and will be replaced soon, so I ordered
the cheapest. There were two places that had that price. One was in
Calif. and from what I could tell tell the other was in Eastern Tenn.
Surprise the place in Tenn. was a vendor thru Walmart. Since I am on
East Coast, I ordered from Walmart. Another surprise, the tracking
started for place in Mass. And the final surprise....
It was brand new manufactured in China.

It arrived late today and I put it on after dinner. It works fine.
At that price I was expecting a rebuilt starter.
Dan

====================

A new brush set fixed my 91 Ranger's starter.
http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...et/ford/ranger

You might check the alternator brushes. There is a hole for a wire to
restrain the brushes while you install the holder assembly.-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 18:15:39 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

The starter on my Ford Ranger pickup died. I looked on the internet and found a wide range of replacements. The prices ranged from $38 to about $150. The truck is old and will be replaced soon, so I ordered the cheapest. There were two places that had that price. One was in Calif. and from what I could tell tell the other was in Eastern Tenn. Surprise the place in Tenn. was a vendor thru Walmart. Since I am on East Coast, I ordered from Walmart. Another surprise, the tracking started for place in Mass. And the final surprise....
It was brand new manufactured in China.

It arrived late today and I put it on after dinner. It works fine. At that price I was expecting a rebuilt starter.

Dan

They can build them in China for about what it costs to clean them for
rebuilding in North America.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 9:41:37 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

A new brush set fixed my 91 Ranger's starter.
http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...et/ford/ranger

You might check the alternator brushes. There is a hole for a wire to
restrain the brushes while you install the holder assembly.-jsw

I might do some more looking just for grins. Looking at Autozone, they have replacement brushes for my truck ( a 94 4 cyl. ) for exactly the same price ( $37.99 including shipping ) as I paid for the whole starter.

In about 93 Ford changed to a permanent magnet starter with built in gear reduction. Suppose to have a bunch of advantages. The ( pmgr ) starter will replace the 91 starter ( at least for the 2.3 engine. )

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 9:41:37 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

A new brush set fixed my 91 Ranger's starter.
http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...et/ford/ranger

You might check the alternator brushes. There is a hole for a wire
restrain the brushes while you install the holder assembly.-jsw

I might do some more looking just for grins. Looking at Autozone,
they have replacement brushes for my truck ( a 94 4 cyl. ) for
exactly the same price ( $37.99 including shipping ) as I paid for
the whole starter.

In about 93 Ford changed to a permanent magnet starter with built in
gear reduction. Suppose to have a bunch of advantages. The (
pmgr ) starter will replace the 91 starter ( at least for the 2.3
engine. )

Dan

I have the 2.3l. The original starter draws around 150A when the
engine is warm, according to Autozone's portable clamp-on tester. The
carefully maintained Interstate battery installed in 2002 has dropped
to about 200A, not much of a margin. Can you easily determine the draw
of the PM one?

I'm not too cheap to replace the battery, I'm testing ways to follow
the battery makers' maintenance recommendations. So far monthly top-up
charging and occasional equalizing from my solar panels has worked
well. The battery seems to be in better condition now than a few years
ago when I started checking it and found two weak cells.

It looks like the trickle charger for old batteries should have
adjustable voltage output and voltage and current meters. An LM317 or
LM350 and this meter is enough:
https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Accuracy...FH2SWMD9THBPDP

I haven't found much need for a current limit since the current
automatically decreases as the battery voltage rises, unless it's
badly sulfated.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 09:29:24 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

The ford PM starter I have on the CorvAir engine draws no more than 75
amps cranking 2.7 liters .