Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Briggs "powerbuilt" engine problem

The church bought an almost new, very lightly used consumer grade
"bolens" lawn tractor a month or so back. It looked to be in VERY nice
shape, ran well, and the price was right. On Friday I got a call from
the older gentleman who does the lawn mowing, saying the tractor had
lost power and he just barely got it back in the shed. It has a B&S
"Powermore" 500cc 13.5 HP OHV single engine. When I got there this
afternoon to check it out it would not turn over. When I pulled the
plug it cranked OK but even then the battery voltage dropped to about
9 volts. I took the battery to the battery shop to have it checked and
the guy said it was a 135CCA battery, usually used on 5HP tractors,
and only tested at about 95cca. I bought a new "east penn" 350cca
battery for $70 including tax and gave it a try. Still didn't crank,
(I eventually did get it to make one full revolution and the engine
started) but the voltage didn't drop as far. When it started it hardly
had any power at all so I popped off the rocker cover to check valve
clearance and found the one rocker stud (the bottom one) backed out
almost 1/4" (and the thead is only about 7/16 inch long) and the
adjuster nut was loose on the stud.

I cleaned it up and Loc-Tited the stud into the head, re-adjusted the
clearance and tightened the little Torx jam-screw in the end of the
adjuster nut and it spun over perfectly. Buttoned it up and it's
running like new. Those darn engines are so noisy you can't even
begin to hear a loose valve adjustment.

Pretty crappy assembly to have the rocker stud come loose before the
muffler is even discoloured!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This is just another example of the fast buck boys buying fine old
companies and just relying on the name. Think Stanley etc.
CP

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 18:58:27 -0700, MOP CAP wrote:

This is just another example of the fast buck boys buying fine old
companies and just relying on the name. Think Stanley etc.
CP

Same thing with the BOLENS name. Used to be top notch, heavy duty
equipment. Now it's "bottom drawer" MTD crap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 18:58:27 -0700, MOP CAP wrote:

This is just another example of the fast buck boys buying fine old
companies and just relying on the name. Think Stanley etc.
CP

Unfortunately..I agree.

---