Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Brexit reaction

On Fri, 1 Jul 2016 06:39:16 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Just Wondering" wrote in message
On 6/30/2016 6:17 PM, Alex W. wrote:
Of course it looks better.

It's be cause it IS better.
It is the correct way.
We invented it, you know....

The British may have invented Shakespearean English, but they didn't
invent modern English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhoticity_in_English
"Americans returning to England after the end of the American
Revolutionary War in 1783 reported surprise at the significant changes
in fashionable pronunciation."

Canada and the USA preserved the language in its proper form.

In 1783, who did the London nobility sound like? Today's Massachusetts? North Carolina? New York? Ohio? Ontario or Newfoundland, Canada? Australia? New Zealand?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Just Wondering" wrote in message
On 6/30/2016 6:17 PM, Alex W. wrote:
Of course it looks better.

It's be cause it IS better.
It is the correct way.
We invented it, you know....

The British may have invented Shakespearean English, but they
didn't
invent modern English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhoticity_in_English
"Americans returning to England after the end of the American
Revolutionary War in 1783 reported surprise at the significant
changes
in fashionable pronunciation."

Canada and the USA preserved the language in its proper form.

In 1783, who did the London nobility sound like? Today's
Massachusetts? North Carolina? New York? Ohio? Ontario or
Newfoundland, Canada? Australia? New Zealand?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_English
"Australian English began to diverge from British English after the
founding of the Colony of New South Wales in 1788 and was recognised
as being different from British English by 1820."

We have no preserved recordings of speech before 1860, and that one is
in French.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Just Wondering" wrote in message
On 6/30/2016 6:17 PM, Alex W. wrote:
Of course it looks better.

It's be cause it IS better.
It is the correct way.
We invented it, you know....

The British may have invented Shakespearean English, but they didn't
invent modern English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhoticity_in_English
"Americans returning to England after the end of the American
Revolutionary War in 1783 reported surprise at the significant changes
in fashionable pronunciation."

Canada and the USA preserved the language in its proper form.

In 1783, who did the London nobility sound like? Today's Massachusetts? North Carolina? New York? Ohio? Ontario or Newfoundland, Canada? Australia? New Zealand?

In the terms Jim apprently is talking about, more like eastern
Massachusetts. They were non-rhotic: they dropped final "r's" except
for those that preceed a word that begins with a vowel. ("Cah" for
"car.")

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I suspect that eastern or maritime Canada may be the best example.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 1 Jul 2016 09:43:34 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Maybe. The only person from maritime Canada I've spoken to recently is
the PR woman for LVD Strippit -- and she lives in Belgium. g

Ah, that's not quite true. I got a call from a reader in Nova Scotia a
few weeks ago. He sounded a lot like me, only he talked slower...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

I visited Nova Scotia around 1980 and tried to find interesting places
off the main tourist path, like boat builders and blacksmith shops,
the Alexander Graham Bell museum, and an isolated inn at the entrance
to Lake Bras D'Or whose owner offered boat rides out to Bird Island,
where we could see the distinctive coastal features as Eirik the Red
described them a thousand years ago.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Just Wondering" wrote in message
On 6/30/2016 6:17 PM, Alex W. wrote:
Of course it looks better.

It's be cause it IS better.
It is the correct way.
We invented it, you know....

The British may have invented Shakespearean English, but they didn't
invent modern English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhoticity_in_English
"Americans returning to England after the end of the American
Revolutionary War in 1783 reported surprise at the significant changes
in fashionable pronunciation."

Canada and the USA preserved the language in its proper form.

In 1783, who did the London nobility sound like? Today's Massachusetts? North Carolina? New York? Ohio? Ontario or Newfoundland, Canada? Australia? New Zealand?

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. "

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

"

"Proper" was a jab at Brits who tout their Received Pronunciation as
the truest form of English, when it was really an artificial
affectation of the nouveau riche industrialists and mill owners.

I'm familiar enough with Latin, Greek, French and German to recognize
the diverse origins of English words.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Another view:
http://www.accenthelp.com/blogs/acce...iation-history
"Originally, it was likely the accent of the East Midlands region of
England (see the photo to the right) back in the 15th century. It
spread further than other accents of that time because of the
prosperous trade of that region, sending the accent further afield and
associating it with economic success. As trade became more and more
centered around London and spread towards the south of England, the
accent found its new home there."

--jsw