Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default oil in lathe gearbox

On Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 4:11:13 PM UTC-4, Jon Elson wrote:
Francis Morrin wrote:

I'm on my way to recondition an Elliot/Cardiff senior lathe and reckon
its well past time to change the gearbox and cross slide oil. The
level is low anyway.

The oil is pumped for sure in the gearbox, but I'm not 100% in the
case of the cross slide.

Any ideas on what grade of oil I should use?

Also any recommendations for good instructional books for someone who
has a fair idea but needs a lot of practise and advice on metal
turning - eg types of steel, getting a clean finish (that I know the
lathe is well capable of), cutting threads etc etc etc.... you guys
know the drill!!!!

My Sheldon lathe has 4 different oils in 4 gearboxes! There's the motor
gearbox, headstock, QC and carriage. The carriage, crossslide, apron gears
and nearby parts are lubed by a pretty typical way lube, as the slideways
and leadscrew nuts are the most important surfaces to protect. Given a good
way oil, and running at the low speeds the other parts get, they will do
fine.

A bit unusual to have a true pressure-lubed gearbox, unless it has
hydraulically
shifted gears. My Sheldon has a faily light gearbox lube in the motor
gearbox,
and a different (lighter, I think) oil in the headstock. Maybe they want to
use the lightest oil possible in the headstock to reduce heating.
Anyway, the
headstock is splash-lubed by the bull gear, which churns oil up to a gallery
that spills oil on specific locations. the motor gearbox is pretty much
immersed in the gear lube.

I can get the specific lubricant types for you, if that would be
helpful. I found
a local outfit that repackages industrial lubes from the drums in 5 Gal
sizes, and
they were able to cross reference all the old lubes called out for my
machine.

Jon

Jon,
I just picked up a Sheldon Lathe, and I have the book coming. Can you tell me what oil you use and where you use it. I just ordered Vactra #2 Mobil Way Oil and DTE Heavy Mobil DTE circulating oil. I was told by another sheldon owner, this was all I need. Could you please help me out?
Regards
ADAM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Francis Morrin wrote:

[...]

The way oil on the ways...the DTE in the gearbox and head.

---