Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default bright, shiny stainless steel

Are there any particular types of stainless steel that take on a good
shine and keep it better than others? Rod form of about 3/4" is what I'd
use. There will be an external and internal threads with one end of the
rod being visible.

The part I'm considering making is mostly cosmetic, but having an almost
chromed look is a plus. The polish I have on hand is Blue Magic, and the
while the stuff is great, but I've noticed that even with stainless
silverware not all will even take a nice polish. Some stuff just ends up
looking grey, others will really shine. I realize "stainless" is a loose
term and the properties vary quite a bit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 23:57:50 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Are there any particular types of stainless steel that take on a good
shine and keep it better than others? Rod form of about 3/4" is what I'd
use. There will be an external and internal threads with one end of the
rod being visible.

The part I'm considering making is mostly cosmetic, but having an almost
chromed look is a plus. The polish I have on hand is Blue Magic, and the
while the stuff is great, but I've noticed that even with stainless
silverware not all will even take a nice polish. Some stuff just ends up
looking grey, others will really shine. I realize "stainless" is a loose
term and the properties vary quite a bit.

Sailboat railings are commonly made from one of the 300 series
stainless, but your reference to "Blue Magic" is a bit misleading as
to be "shiny" you will probably have to actually "polish" your
stainless by buffing with several grades of abrasive. First to remove
all scratches and abrasions in the metal and then (probably) two more
increasingly fine grades of "polishing compound" to remove smaller and
smaller imperfections.

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLfgjeq86fw
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8r9Ot7Z5l4
for description of polishing .

--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 6:57:53 PM UTC-5, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Are there any particular types of stainless steel that take on a good
shine and keep it better than others? Rod form of about 3/4" is what I'd
use. There will be an external and internal threads with one end of the
rod being visible.

303 stainless is probably not the best for a good shine, but it is easier to machine than say 316.

Grainger has stainless rods in 303,304,316, and 416.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The stuff is just magic. Not sure how it works with such little effort,
but it does. I've gotten the electropolished look on Al and other metals
with just a few minutes and a rag. Not all metals take on the super
reflective look though.

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLfgjeq86fw
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8r9Ot7Z5l4
for description of polishing .

--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 6:57:53 PM UTC-5, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Are there any particular types of stainless steel that take on a good
shine and keep it better than others? Rod form of about 3/4" is what I'd
use. There will be an external and internal threads with one end of the
rod being visible.

The part I'm considering making is mostly cosmetic, but having an almost
chromed look is a plus. The polish I have on hand is Blue Magic, and the
while the stuff is great, but I've noticed that even with stainless
silverware not all will even take a nice polish. Some stuff just ends up
looking grey, others will really shine. I realize "stainless" is a loose
term and the properties vary quite a bit.

If you've got a lot of parts you can get nickle plating for not too much.
I've only had copper/ brass parts plated, and plating on SS might not
be as easy.

George H.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 09:32:53 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Nickel is not going to be brighter than 304 stainless, although it
will be warmer (more yellowish, while chrome and stainless are more
bluish).

Stainless is difficult to plate. You'll get a bit more brightness with
a flash of chrome, but you need to prepare the stainless with some
nasty chemicals and then give it a "strike" coating of nickel before
plating with chrome.

You can polish 304 or 316 stainless to a very bright finish. As
someone said, unless it's already highly polished and you're just
cleaning it, you need to go through a multi-step process. "Green
rouge" (it ain't so 'rouge' if it's green, but that's what they call
it) is a common finishing step. I use Dico Stainless Polish. It's
quite aggressive and it leaves a really good polish. You need a
buffing wheel to apply it unless your time is worth nothing.

But first you have to get it smooth. That depends on what you're
starting with. It can take four or five steps.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Are there any particular types of stainless steel that take on a good
shine and keep it better than others? Rod form of about 3/4" is what I'd
use. There will be an external and internal threads with one end of the
rod being visible.

The part I'm considering making is mostly cosmetic, but having an almost
chromed look is a plus. The polish I have on hand is Blue Magic, and the
while the stuff is great, but I've noticed that even with stainless
silverware not all will even take a nice polish. Some stuff just ends up
looking grey, others will really shine. I realize "stainless" is a loose
term and the properties vary quite a bit.

316 SS is a common alloy and easy to get. It will shine up very
nicely. The color will look close to chrome plating. It's hard to
machine compared to 303 but polishes up much brighter than 303.
Eric

Stainless steel Frank Erskine UK diy 9 December 13th 11 11:36 PM
STAINLESS STEEL ? No Name Home Repair 14 March 24th 10 09:19 PM
Stainless steel nuts galling on stainless steel bolts spaco Metalworking 15 April 12th 06 06:02 PM
Appliances-Brushed steel Vs Stainless steel DIY Novice UK diy 7 August 24th 04 06:44 PM
MIG and 304 stainless steel Carl Ijames Metalworking 1 October 2nd 03 04:26 AM