Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Off Topic

I am tapping into the collected wisdon of the group. I have a cabin
where the winters get below freezing on occasion and high RH, in the
summer the temp. can go over 100F with RH below 10%. The hose bibs are
about 50 years old. Most of them are leaking around the stems when on.
Can I use something
to refresh them a special product, WD-40, penetrating oil, tri-flo or?
Or do I just have to bite the bullit and repack them?

Thanks,

CP

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/20/2016 9:45 PM, MOP CAP wrote:

Or do I just have to bite the bullit and repack them?

Ayup. Probably all will do good w/ a new compression washer, too. On
the farmstead here there are a gazillion hose bibs in the yard, garden
and variously scattered about corrals and all...I'd venture most are 70
or 80 year old if a day; I know for fact they've not been replaced since
I was a young'un and that's been the majority of that time span.

I did go about and refurb a significant number of them a couple years
ago by capping three or four rarely used ones, redoing them, then as had
a little time would take another group replacing them with the
worked-over ones. Rinse, lather, repeat...if one only has a few, it's
not such a deal.

I've found there simply aren't any available any longer that have the
quality stems, few-turn full opening and don't have much more flow
blockage internally as these older specimens; at least without being $30/ea.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"MOP CAP" wrote in message
I am tapping into the collected wisdon of the group. I have a cabin
where the winters get below freezing on occasion and high RH, in the
summer the temp. can go over 100F with RH below 10%. The hose bibs
are about 50 years old. Most of them are leaking around the stems
when on. Can I use something
to refresh them a special product, WD-40, penetrating oil, tri-flo
or? Or do I just have to bite the bullit and repack them?

Thanks,

CP

The first step is to tighten the packing nut to compress the packing.

http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Faucets_Outdoor.php

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 11:14:33 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"MOP CAP" wrote in message
I am tapping into the collected wisdon of the group. I have a cabin
where the winters get below freezing on occasion and high RH, in the
summer the temp. can go over 100F with RH below 10%. The hose bibs
are about 50 years old. Most of them are leaking around the stems
when on. Can I use something
to refresh them a special product, WD-40, penetrating oil, tri-flo
or? Or do I just have to bite the bullit and repack them?

Thanks,

CP

The first step is to tighten the packing nut to compress the packing.

http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Faucets_Outdoor.php

-jsw

I've added years to the life of string packings just by loosening the
packing nut a couple of turns and dripping in a few drops of motor
oil, along the stem.

--
Cheapskate Ed
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"MOP CAP" wrote in message
[...]

I use my LPS-3 for jobs like that, to see how well it protects metals
other than steel. It dries to a soft wax that's better than nothing as
a lubricant. So far it's worked well on zinc and OK on brass (hard to
tell) but it's not much help on aluminum.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 19:45:28 -0800, MOP CAP wrote:

I am tapping into the collected wisdon of the group. I have a cabin
where the winters get below freezing on occasion and high RH, in the
summer the temp. can go over 100F with RH below 10%. The hose bibs are
about 50 years old. Most of them are leaking around the stems when on.
Can I use something
to refresh them a special product, WD-40, penetrating oil, tri-flo or?
Or do I just have to bite the bullit and repack them?

Cord is $1.45 at Home Depot and it takes nearly 4 minutes to repack a
bib. Are there any other questions?

There is enough cord in a pack to service at least two bibs, BTW.

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;

On-Topic: Where is TNP? Another John UK diy 10 October 31st 14 04:21 AM
On topic ... Swingman Woodworking 8 February 16th 13 06:11 AM
just slightly off topic, but mostly on topic; Make-up air marc rosen Woodworking 15 October 24th 11 03:40 AM
off topic Maurice Hood UK diy 5 July 2nd 06 07:56 AM
new topic, off topic, about new topics [email protected] Woodworking 0 March 27th 05 02:05 PM