Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 2n tractor and corroding ignition points

I have an old 2n front mount distributor that sits outside in the elements. A common problem I have is it wont start the once in a blue moon I use it. (bush hogging, etc). What happens is the points corrode and have no continuity between them.

Can I spray or use something on the points to keep them from corroding?
Also, I would like to somehow weatherproof the distributor and square can coil as much as I can. I thought about covering it in that peel and stick asphalt flashing, but I assume the engine heat would cause that to not last very long. Can anyone out there help me with some ideas to moisture/weatherproof the points/coil/distributor?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped fired this volley in
:

I have an old 2n front mount distributor that sits outside in the
elements.

Gee, I had an 8N with the same sort of front-mount distributor.

My solution was to make sure the hood was down when the tractor wasn't in
use. (And while it WAS in use, too... made for easier vision while
mowing.)

Just _completely_ fill the distributor cap with a heavy, high-temp
grease. Put a grease-fitting on it so that you can keep it filled TIGHT
with the grease. That'll protect the points, for sure. They'll certainly
not corrode after that.

You can do the same thing with the coil, but it might attract dust, so
you'll have to make a tin cover to contain the grease. Fasten the tin
down to the coil with 3/4" long sheet metal screws centered in the
housing of the coil.

No more moisture problems!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Just _completely_ fill the distributor cap with a heavy, high-temp
grease. Put a grease-fitting on it so that you can keep it filled TIGHT
with the grease. That'll protect the points, for sure. They'll certainly
not corrode after that.

No more moisture problems!

No, don't suppose they would. Don't think they'll open/close, either,
though which might also be considered something of a shortcoming...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb fired this volley in :

Don't think they'll open/close, either,
though which might also be considered something of a shortcoming...

Not to Stryped. He'll never notice the difference, and once the points
beat through that grease, they'll close PERFECTLY (if a little more slowly
than before).

Lloyd