Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Failure ...

I have decided to give up and admit those wood stove grates have defeated
me . I have done a lot of research in addition to the excellent advice y'all
have given me and this just ain't happening .
These grates have been repeatedly overheated in a high-carbon environment
, and have apparently absorbed so much carbon as to render them unrepairable
..
First I tried preheat to 500-600° F and TIG welding the cracks with both
cast strips and with the Invar 42 . The problem is that the surface of the
CI just ablates , it will not puddle . I did get some very small "beads"
molten , but the filler would not fuse and puddle .
Next was preheat and brazing rod , it refused to wet the surface and stick
.. When I did get it to stick on some places , it cracked as the part cooled
..
Today I tried some new brazing rod with preheat , same deal , it refuses
to wet the surface . Since nothing else has worked I figured I had nothing
to lose so fired up the MIG and tried a short bead with heavy peening as the
weld cooled . And it won't stick either . I'm figuring that with nothing
else working it's pretty much futile to try with stick .
So tomorrow I get to call the guy and tell him the bad news ... but for
some reason I don't think he's going to mind too much . The stove (I got to
see it the other day when I delivered the other piece I repaired) is much
older than mine , and has been cobbled on some before . And he's got another
stove installed where he had this one ... I suspect he was kind of expecting
these to be unrepairable , I pretty sure I'm not the first guy he's asked to
fix them . The others apparently had the good sense to say no .
--
Snag

HDD Failure Osprey UK diy 30 November 23rd 12 09:28 AM
more on that MOT 'failure' The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 2 December 23rd 11 07:54 PM
CFL Failure [email protected] Home Ownership 1 January 19th 10 03:33 PM
GM Failure oldjag Metalworking 103 December 11th 08 08:41 PM
Hep 2 O failure The Medway Handyman UK diy 10 February 3rd 08 05:17 PM