Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT What to do if you accidentally puncture your AC unit?

I just clumsily drilled through something in the AC unit. I can tell
because there is some hissing sound as if gases being released. It's on the
outside, but maybe I should take the AC out of the window.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:

Nevermind, it's out of the window, in a safe spot still quietly
hissing. I suppose it's the Freon. Time to buy a new unit, next summer.

If it's a nice unit, you might want to throw a rubber sleeve and hose clamp
on the hole. Just to keep contaminants and corrosion out of the works once
it stops hissing. It might improve the odds of having it repaired and
recharged if you are going to leave it sitting for a while.

--
Paul Hovnanian
I love guns. Its bullets that I can't stand.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Paul
Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Nevermind, it's out of the window, in a safe spot still quietly
hissing. I suppose it's the Freon. Time to buy a new unit, next summer.

If it's a nice unit, you might want to throw a rubber sleeve and hose clamp
on the hole. Just to keep contaminants and corrosion out of the works once
it stops hissing. It might improve the odds of having it repaired and
recharged if you are going to leave it sitting for a while.

Yes, but it's best to not wait if repair is planned. Water vapor and
corrosion are really hard on such systems, and time is not on your
side.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to John Doe , graydog wrote:
always.look wrote:

I just clumsily drilled through something in the AC unit. I can tell
because there is some hissing sound as if gases being released. It's on

the
outside, but maybe I should take the AC out of the window.
Thanks.

No, the time to take the AC out of the window was BEFORE YOU DRILLED A
FREAKIN' HOLE IN IT !!
LOL
Seriously, You'll have to have someone solder up the hole and recharge the
unit. If it's a small unit, fixing it will probably cost more than it's
worth.

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...it-623103-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 7:34:12 PM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:
I just clumsily drilled through something in the AC unit. I can tell
because there is some hissing sound as if gases being released. It's on the
outside, but maybe I should take the AC out of the window.

Thanks.

I'm a little late to this game, but... If I were to drill through AC plumbing, the very first thing I would do is curse enough to make a drunken sailor blush. I assume you've already done that.

Puncture repair in lawn tractor YAY! The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 4 May 21st 14 04:20 PM
Nail Puncture Sonny Woodworking 1 January 13th 12 11:45 PM
Puncture through sheet metal for tapping Andre Majorel Metalworking 23 July 24th 08 09:53 PM
Help! I accidentally turned off the gas! Pamela G. Home Repair 7 October 31st 06 04:22 PM
Solid/puncture proof wheel barrow tyre Broadback UK diy 15 January 18th 06 10:39 PM