Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Russia in Syria

Special for Ig from the motherland...
https://www.rt.com/news/317505-air-f...rorists-raqqa/

Apparently the Russians have flown more sorties in 3 days,
and inflicted more damage to ISIS/FSA than everybody else
combined since the insurrection started. Apparently no air
action yet by the PRC, although they now have a carrier and
guided missile frigate at the Russian naval base in Syria.

The Russians also seem to be able to avoid the hospitals.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/death-toll...6.html#p4dor9k

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 04 Oct 2015 07:10:01 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

Yo, George, here's a special-report article that's right up your
alley: "The Sticky Superpower" (the US), published yesterday in The
Economist:

http://www.economist.com/econ2015

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-10-04, F George McDuffee wrote:
Special for Ig from the motherland...
https://www.rt.com/news/317505-air-f...rorists-raqqa/

Apparently the Russians have flown more sorties in 3 days,
and inflicted more damage to ISIS/FSA than everybody else
combined since the insurrection started. Apparently no air
action yet by the PRC, although they now have a carrier and
guided missile frigate at the Russian naval base in Syria.

The Russians also seem to be able to avoid the hospitals.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/death-toll...6.html#p4dor9k

I keep following this as much as I have time, and I do not yet
understand what exactly it is that Putin wants.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Sunday, October 4, 2015 at 7:10:05 AM UTC-5, F. George McDuffee wrote:
Special for Ig from the motherland...
https://www.rt.com/news/317505-air-f...rorists-raqqa/

Apparently the Russians have flown more sorties in 3 days,
and inflicted more damage to ISIS/FSA than everybody else
combined since the insurrection started. Apparently no air
action yet by the PRC, although they now have a carrier and
guided missile frigate at the Russian naval base in Syria.

The Russians also seem to be able to avoid the hospitals.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/death-toll...6.html#p4dor9k

The ROE for our pilots - or any other US combat forces - is a joke.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi George,

As I think I understand it, the Russians are attacking any and all who
oppose Assad.

Including OUR puppet rebels led by Salim Idriss.

You have anything on that?

Richard

On 10/4/2015 6:10 AM, F. George McDuffee wrote:
Special for Ig from the motherland...
https://www.rt.com/news/317505-air-f...rorists-raqqa/

Apparently the Russians have flown more sorties in 3 days,
and inflicted more damage to ISIS/FSA than everybody else
combined since the insurrection started. Apparently no air
action yet by the PRC, although they now have a carrier and
guided missile frigate at the Russian naval base in Syria.

The Russians also seem to be able to avoid the hospitals.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/death-toll...6.html#p4dor9k

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/5/2015 11:24 PM, cavelamb wrote:
Hi George,

As I think I understand it, the Russians are attacking any and all who
oppose Assad.

Including OUR puppet rebels led by Salim Idriss.

You have anything on that?

Richard

Are those the same 5 rebels that the US paid hundreds of millions to train?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-10-06, cavelamb wrote:
Hi George,

As I think I understand it, the Russians are attacking any and all who
oppose Assad.

Including OUR puppet rebels led by Salim Idriss.

You have anything on that?

The last I heard, we had "four or five" such puppet rebels. That was
testimony of some general charged with their deployment.

Richard

On 10/4/2015 6:10 AM, F. George McDuffee wrote:
Special for Ig from the motherland...
https://www.rt.com/news/317505-air-f...rorists-raqqa/

Apparently the Russians have flown more sorties in 3 days,
and inflicted more damage to ISIS/FSA than everybody else
combined since the insurrection started. Apparently no air
action yet by the PRC, although they now have a carrier and
guided missile frigate at the Russian naval base in Syria.

The Russians also seem to be able to avoid the hospitals.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/death-toll...6.html#p4dor9k

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 21:24:17 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

Hi George,

As I think I understand it, the Russians are attacking any and all who
oppose Assad.

Including OUR puppet rebels led by Salim Idriss.

You have anything on that?

Richard

On 10/4/2015 6:10 AM, F. George McDuffee wrote:
Special for Ig from the motherland...
https://www.rt.com/news/317505-air-f...rorists-raqqa/

Apparently the Russians have flown more sorties in 3 days,
and inflicted more damage to ISIS/FSA than everybody else
combined since the insurrection started. Apparently no air
action yet by the PRC, although they now have a carrier and
guided missile frigate at the Russian naval base in Syria.

The Russians also seem to be able to avoid the hospitals.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/death-toll...6.html#p4dor9k

======================
Almost nothing of substance in the US media.

Russia/USSR has long had a warm water [Mediterranean] port
and naval station in Syria
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartus, which they wish to
retain, much as they wanted to retain Sevastopol
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europ...aine-s-borders
in the Crimea [Black Sea], and has common borders with the
Mid-East/Islamic nations, e. g. Iran and Checenya
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheche...ssian_conflict.

IMNSHO Russia recognizes that anarchy and failed states on
her southern borders are highly dangerous, unlike another
major power, and is taking steps to secure a buffer zone of
friendly, or at least strictly neutral states [Iran was
occupied by the USSR and the UK in WW2] with common
interests. It is in the long-term interests of Iran, PRC,
and Russia for revolt in Syria to be resolved, and a secular
authoritarian [not totalitarian] Syrian state to be
[re]created.

Indeed, most people would say, at this point, such a stable
state is in the long-term best self interests of the
majority of Syrians, many of whom are being driven from
their homes/country, while the war lords attempt to displace
a functioning, albeit despotic/dynastic/corrupt government
loosely based on Ba'athist
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ba'athism ideology which is
strongly nationalistic and pan-arab, and thus anathema to
the international oil companies.

Another factor is the rapprochement between Russia and the
PRC, which have apparently determined that they have far
more to gain by cooperation than by direct confrontation.
For example their decision to conduct trade between them in
Yuan/Roubles, eliminating 3rd party foreign exchange
involvement, creating additional rail and pipeline links,
and re-establishing a modernized version of the "Silk Road"
trade route between Europe and Asia
http://thediplomat.com/2015/06/euras...ina-consensus/,
among many other cooperative activities.

In short, we are seeing "hard ball" realpolitik being played
between 2 professionals and an amateur using other people's
money, with the expected outcomes.

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Yo, George, here's a special-report article that's right up your
alley: "The Sticky Superpower" (the US), published yesterday in The
Economist:

http://www.economist.com/econ2015

=================

Just finished reading the article, and have the following
observations:

* States the obvious, i.e. the existence of inertia and
momentum in international relations and precedence.

* Appears to assume monolithic nation-states when in fact
diversity/weltanschauung is rapidly increasing within the
states, e. g. Beltway/Arlington residents v Palm Springs
residents v Detroit residents.

* Does not address how both we and the UK/EU keep shooting
ourselves in the foot by allowing elitist groups to kill the
golden goose.

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Yo, George, here's a special-report article that's right up your
alley: "The Sticky Superpower" (the US), published yesterday in The
Economist:

http://www.economist.com/econ2015

=================

Just finished reading the article, and have the following
observations:

* States the obvious, i.e. the existence of inertia and
momentum in international relations and precedence.

* Appears to assume monolithic nation-states when in fact
diversity/weltanschauung is rapidly increasing within the
states, e. g. Beltway/Arlington residents v Palm Springs
residents v Detroit residents.

* Does not address how both we and the UK/EU keep shooting
ourselves in the foot by allowing elitist groups to kill the
golden goose.

Did you follow through with the entire special report, or just that
lead article?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I admire your sincere attempt to think rationally about global events,
without getting swayed by any official rhetoric. I also think that
there is a kernel of truth in what you said.

However, I am sincerely puzzled by the exact purpose of "Russian
airplanes in Syria". As far as I understand, ISIS and other Sunni
jihadi groups move on pickup trucks, infiltrate, and ambush. None of
those modes of operation can be easily targeted from the sky. You do
not know who is in a pickup truck even from a mile up in the sky. I do
not, at present, see how air power can seriously deal with them,
especially when not accompanies by the NSA-like intelligence prowess.

There is not enough planes to intercept all pickup truckss, either.

In addition, Syrian conflict is largely of ethnic and sectarian nature
I would think tat Putin understands this and knows that Assad's
opponents cannot be defeated by air power alone, especially coming
from infidels.

If so, what exactly does he want, is not clear to me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Have not read the entire article. Being a cheap-screw, I am
limited to 3 free articles a week. FWIW: I do frequently
post on the Economist and Telegraph as Unka_George.

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

OK, I'll tell you a dirty trick to get around their paywall. When you
run up against it, select and copy the headline. Then open Google or
whatever you use. Paste the headline, then type in "economist" without
the quotes after the headline. Search. The Economist article will come
up at the top or near-top of the list. Click on it. Poof! You're past
the paywall.

--
Cheapskate Ed
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

============
Thanks!

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Well for starters, there are tons and tons of ethnic Russians in Ceylon right offshore of the long time Russian Naval Base in Syria. Plus, if Syria's ruler Assad asks Putin to bring forces there, then what's stopping him?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-10-06, F George McDuffee wrote:
[...]

Well for starters, there are tons and tons of ethnic Russians in Cyprus right off shore of the long time Russian Naval Base in Syria. Plus, if Syria's ruler Assad asks Putin to bring forces there, then what's stopping him?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 04 Oct 2015 11:27:56 -0500, Ignoramus2041

On 2015-10-04, F George McDuffee wrote:
Special for Ig from the motherland...
https://www.rt.com/news/317505-air-f...rorists-raqqa/

Apparently the Russians have flown more sorties in 3 days,
and inflicted more damage to ISIS/FSA than everybody else
combined since the insurrection started. Apparently no air
action yet by the PRC, although they now have a carrier and
guided missile frigate at the Russian naval base in Syria.

The Russians also seem to be able to avoid the hospitals.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/death-toll...6.html#p4dor9k

I keep following this as much as I have time, and I do not yet
understand what exactly it is that Putin wants.

More on the PRC involvement in Syria

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...e-against-ISIS

OT Syria harryagain[_2_] Home Repair 54 September 12th 13 07:40 PM
Briain's tough line with Syria. Ian Field Electronic Schematics 0 September 1st 13 10:10 PM
Barack W. Bush: Unilateral War In Syria jon_banquer[_2_] Metalworking 0 August 30th 13 08:40 PM
OT Driving in Russia. harry Home Repair 0 December 13th 12 04:30 PM
GENOCIDE IN THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY IN SYRIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!! BV BV UK diy 0 March 19th 12 11:21 AM