Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Who won the Civil War?

On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 2:35:43 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

There are a lot of pockets in this country where the word of the Bible
is taken literally,
--
Ed Huntress

I have lived in Alaska, Massachusetts, Washington State, Alabama, Delawore, and Louisiana. If there are lots of pockets that take the word of the Bible literally , I would think I would have encountered at least one. But I have not.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Sep 2015 13:42:08 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 2:35:43 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

There are a lot of pockets in this country where the word of the Bible
is taken literally,
--
Ed Huntress

I have lived in Alaska, Massachusetts, Washington State, Alabama, Delawore, and Louisiana. If there are lots of pockets that take the word of the Bible literally , I would think I would have encountered at least one. But I have not.

Dan

I have lived in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, Florida,
and Michigan. Try Pentacostals in northeast Pennsylvania and
evangelicals in western Maryland. There are Biblical literalists out
there. I went to school with some of them.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 4:58:32 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

I have lived in Alaska, Massachusetts, Washington State, Alabama, Delawore, and Louisiana. If there are lots of pockets that take the word of the Bible literally , I would think I would have encountered at least one. But I have not.

Dan

I have lived in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, Florida,
and Michigan. Try Pentacostals in northeast Pennsylvania and
evangelicals in western Maryland. There are Biblical literalists out
there. I went to school with some of them.

--
Ed Huntress

Does not sound like "lots of pockets " You say you have lived in six states and I have lived in sever states ( I left out California ). And you say there are pockets in two of your states. So with 2 pockets in 13 states, one might extrapolate that data to 8 pockets in 50 states. Not what I would call " lots ". And I suspect that the pockets you mention have ceased to be pockets in the time since you were in school. Pretty much every where now has national TV programs which do not advocate that the Bible should be taken literally. Same thing happens with beliefs as happens with accents. Local speech and ideas disappear.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Sep 2015 17:58:33 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

You may be the most tedious individual I've run into since college,
Dan. g

First, my circle of experience in most of those places may have been
10 miles or so. So those few examples are hardly representative of how
many "pockets" there may be.

But we see and hear from some on the news from time to time, and it's
not coming from one particular place. So, if you're trying to judge it
based on your experience or mine, you're barking up the wrong tree.

We know from randomly selected polls that there is a substantial
percentage that takes the Bible literally -- whether it's 18% or 39%.
That's going to mean a lot of pockets, any way you count it.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 9:08:51 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

You may be the most tedious individual I've run into since college,
Dan. g

--
Ed Huntress

Life gets tedious, don't it.

The sun comes up and the sun goes down. Hands on the clock they just keep going around.I just get up and its time to lay down.Life gets tee-jus don't it?
My shoes untied but I don't care.I really ain't figuring on going anywhere.I just have to wash and comb my hair, and thats just wasted effort.
The water in the well its getting lower and lower can't take a bath for six month's more.But I've heard it said and its probably true,that to much bathing it'll weaking you.
I open the door and the flies swarm in.I shut the door and I'm sweating again.I move to fast and I crack my shin.Its just one darn thing after another.
Old brown mule he must be sick.Jabbed him in the rump with a stick.He humped his back but he didn't kick.Something cockeyed somewhere.
Mouse chauwing on the pantry door.Fool's been at it for a month or more.When he gets through he sure going to be sore.There ain't a dang thing in there.
The cows gone dry and the hens won't lay.Fish quit biting last Saturday.Troubles pile up day by day.Now I'm getting dandriff.
Grief and misery,pains and woes,debts and taxes and so it goes.Now it seems I'm getting a cold in the nose.Life gets tasteless don't it?

Dan