Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Who won the Civil War?

On Mon, 7 Sep 2015 17:58:33 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 4:58:32 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

I have lived in Alaska, Massachusetts, Washington State, Alabama, Delawore, and Louisiana. If there are lots of pockets that take the word of the Bible literally , I would think I would have encountered at least one. But I have not.

Dan

I have lived in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, Florida,
and Michigan. Try Pentacostals in northeast Pennsylvania and
evangelicals in western Maryland. There are Biblical literalists out
there. I went to school with some of them.

--
Ed Huntress

Does not sound like "lots of pockets " You say you have lived in six states and I have lived in sever states ( I left out California ). And you say there are pockets in two of your states. So with 2 pockets in 13 states, one might extrapolate that data to 8 pockets in 50 states. Not what I would call " lots ". And I suspect that the pockets you mention have ceased to be pockets in the time since you were in school. Pretty much every where now has national TV programs which do not advocate that the Bible should be taken literally. Same thing happens with beliefs as happens with accents. Local speech and ideas disappear.

Dan

You may be the most tedious individual I've run into since college,
Dan. g

First, my circle of experience in most of those places may have been
10 miles or so. So those few examples are hardly representative of how
many "pockets" there may be.

But we see and hear from some on the news from time to time, and it's
not coming from one particular place. So, if you're trying to judge it
based on your experience or mine, you're barking up the wrong tree.

We know from randomly selected polls that there is a substantial
percentage that takes the Bible literally -- whether it's 18% or 39%.
That's going to mean a lot of pockets, any way you count it.

--
Ed Huntress