Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Found this interesting for you wood workers...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wixey-WR510-...-/311349577001

Are they any good?

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wixey-WR510-...-/311349577001

Are they any good?

Gunner

I have no experience with that particular unit , but we had a
digital/fraction readout similar to that on a small drum sander at a cabinet
shop I worked at , and a similar unit built into a "time saver" (bigass
machine!) sander at another . Both worked well .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 18:12:54 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wixey-WR510-...-/311349577001

Are they any good?

As a convenience? Likely so. I'd find something better to spend my
money on. This is bling, like adding a flowmeter to the helium
regulator at a balloon shop.

I have no experience with that particular unit , but we had a
digital/fraction readout similar to that on a small drum sander at a cabinet
shop I worked at , and a similar unit built into a "time saver" (bigass
machine!) sander at another . Both worked well .

The only problem I see is that this tech solves something which is not
a problem for 99% of woodworkers.

Most woodworkers, though, just plane the second and subsequent boards
to the same thickness as the first, and that's easily doable without a
digital readout.

Digital readouts are irreplaceable in metalworking, but only a bit of
a convenience in most woodworking.

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

I'm not "most woodworkers" . I was senior bench man in a multimillion
dollar commercial millwork shop , and "close enough" wasn't . I've built
reception desks that cost over $30,000 and done custom repair work that HAD
to match existing woodwork perfectly .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

OK, so you're one of the few exceptions. A few are PFTC.

But did you really see any vital difference in setting up the planer
digitally vs using the analog scale?

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
--Frederick Douglass

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Accuracy, probably not. Speed quite likely. Time is money.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

What Bob said . Though it also gave an edge in accuracy too .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/22/2015 7:01 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wixey-WR510-...-/311349577001

Are they any good?

Gunner

Good enough, but not worth the cost to me. I don't think it would be
very hard to just attach a cheap digital caliper to my planer though.
The 6" Harbor Freight 68304 (SAE-metric-fraction), is often on sale for
$10-11 and would work fine.